Problems trying to run/install Linux 21 Cinnamon

Hi folks.Linux noobie here.I recently purchased Linux 21 Cinnamon 64 on a preinstalled bootable USB to run on my MacBook Pro A1286 mid 2012 running Catalina with 8GB Ram.I installed it and set it up to run as the only OS.All went ok until somehow I managed to stuff it up so I uninstalled it and reinstalled Mac OS from a backup. I have since tried Linux again but all I get is as far as the green LM logo.After a couple of minutes I get a load of text saying certain files are either unreadable or possibly corrupted.Thinking that maybe the usb stick was the problem I ran it on my 2019 iMac and all works fine.My intention was to run the MacBook with Linux as the standalone system and keep the iMac with the Mac OS. Any help or suggestions much appreciated.

Hi, I’m just starting to tinker a little with Mac hardware and have a 2011 iMac here … so response from a Mac noobie;
Which architecture is the USB for and are both your devices this architecture?
(for example; I also have a Mac Mini here, the mini is ARM and the 2011 iMac is x86)
Also, does the USB not have a live mode so you can boot / run from the USB for testing?

Hi, I'm just starting to tinker a little with Mac hardware and have a 2011 iMac here .. so response from a Mac noobie; Which architecture is the USB for and are both your devices this architecture? (for example; I also have a Mac Mini here, the mini is ARM and the 2011 iMac is x86) Also, does the USB not have a live mode so you can boot / run from the USB for testing?

Hi.Not too sure what the architecture is but I’ve had it working ok on both machines in live mode.Its only since I wiped it on the MacBook and tried to start from scratch that I now can’t get it to run. Later tonight I might try erasing the Mac OS from the hard drive and trying to see if the Linux usb will run then.As you can see by the above double quote above I have also just found how to post a reply.

I suppose it’s possible there’s a fault on the Mac’s USB port, but somehow it seems unlikely. If it’s talking about corrupted files, is it possible it’s referring to the hard drive? The reason I have a Mac on my desk is because the disk failed a few years back and I’ve just installed an SSD in it … (finally) … turns out taking the screen off etc isn’t as scary as some people make out :slight_smile:
How old is the MacBook’s disk?
(if you say “original” worn out HDD would be my top bet)

Hard drive could be the issue.When I wiped Linux and reinstalled Catalina I had the dreaded flashing question mark folder crop up.I managed to reinstate the drive again and it seems ok but there could still be an underlying problem.The drive itself is a Crucial SSD that I only installed about 6 months ago so hopefully that won’t be the problem. If I am unable to get Linux running by booting from the hard drive once I have deleted Catalina again I will try swapping for another HD and see if that works…I have a couple of spare drives.My intention had been to try reinstalling tonight but someone got me in an armlock and forced me to go for a few beers so it will have to be tomorrow.I will keep you posted.

Have now tried on 3 different Macs and still have the same problem. I have now come to the inevitable conclusion that my installation is down to a corrupted USB installer. I think I will give up for now. ```````````I was only trying it out to give Linux a try. At some time in the future I will download an iso and create my own bootable installer. Thanks for the help and suggestions to try.

Mm, unusual but I guess USB Flash isn’t necessarily that reliable as a persistent store … for what it’s worth the Ubuntu installer is free and works very well, and it lets you boot into Ubuntu desktop before you start the install, which is handy to see if it’s fundamentally going to run …

Latest update - Turned out it was the USB stick although I now think it wasn’t the persistent file system at fault as my problems started from the word go and now it isn’t even recognised when I plug it in. Finally got round to the iso/create bootable usb stick route using an old USB and I now have Linux as a standalone system installed on my MBP and dual booted on my iMac. I am now trawling through the many tutorial videos on YouTube to find out the wonders of Linux … happy boy!
Many thanks for the advice and I hope I don’t have to come back here too often, as useful as it is.