Questions about user accounts

I’ve got another couple of n00b questions here. I know that when you add a user to the computer, you go to the terminal and write ‘sudo adduser insertusernamehere’ but, how would you go about removing a user?

Another thing I wondered is this: if I were to install an app, would that app be available to everyone who uses the computer within their own account, or should it be downloaded for each user seperately? This is an issue that has changed within Windows over the years, I know back in the XP days, if you installed something it was automatically available to everyone with an account on that computer, yet in 8.1 even the likes of firefox had to be added for each individual account.

I have looked at some alternatives to some of the windows apps I use, and it looks like Goxel might be the linux friendly magicavoxel replacement (my daughter loves low-res voxel art and so do I). I seriously don’t think that magicavoxel will work on linux even with wine because of the dependancies it has in Windows (vcomp140.dll, the .net framework, and the 2015-2021 c++ redistributable… that’s a lot of dependancies for a program which is less than 4MB in size!).

Afraid I can’t answer your questions about users, not a thing I’ve ever had to deal with. Last time I had a PC that was used by anyone else was nearly 15 years ago, and that was XP. I’m sure others will be able to assist you with the users thing.

Apparently you can use Magicavoxel under Wine. If you type something like “Magicavoxel for Linux” into your browser and have a look at what comes up. I personally don’t use Wine, simply because it doesn’t encourage me to get away from Windows software completely, so I always look for a Linux alternative. But that’s just me.

The easiest way to add a user, or to delete one, us to use the GUI — why keep a dog and bark yourself? Mint has a Users & Groups utility in the Menu in the Cinnamon and Mate editions. In the Xfce, you need to use the CLI and the commands useradd or userdel.

You can find out about commands at https://linux.die.net/. To read the manual page without going there, use a command like man useradd. To find commands you can do apropos user.

Applications are installed for all users. Unlike Windows, their configuration information is stored in the users’ directories, so that different users can have the same program set up differently, such as using different languages in their word processor.

It would be worth trying magicavoxel in Wine. You’s probably have everything bar the dll file. Or try Goxel, that is available for Mint. Or try both — when it’s free, there no problem.

If need be I can copy and paste the dll in question, it’s sitting quietly in System32 where I put it, I had to find it on the internet because the installer doesn’t automatically install it, it has to be done manually, which in itself doesn’t make much sense :slight_smile: Don’t know where it would need to be in Linux though, unless there is a folder for dlls within wine? If there is it is just a matter of making sure that dll is available to it. That said, if I cannot get magicavoxel going for whatever reason, I will just have to use Goxel instead.

So, it sounds like the process of adding and deleting users is similar as it is for windows in that case. I thought you had to use the terminal for that kind of thing. Nevertheless, I will have to learn how to use the terminal, because it’s a part of Linux and I might need it sometime. So, thanks for the link, I’ll go and check out that website because it probably has a load of useful stuff that I may need.

And, it’s great to know that installing an app makes it available to everyone, that’s far far better and much less time consuming. I won’t have to spend ages getting everyone elses desktop sorted!

The .dll files are probably treated as in Windows. I have one in ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/QemuLator/ and several in ~/.wine/Program Files (x86)/MorinusWinEng, so it seems they go in the the program’s folder.