Screen Resolution

[size=12pt][font=arial]Hi I am a complete IT novice but, have been using Ubuntu for approx 3 years now and just upgraded to 11.10. I am using a 19" LCD TV as a monitor now and can now only see part of the windows >:( :cry: I have searched the web but, it is all going above my head ??? I really need to resolve this asap as I can’t even set up my email account, I have had to set up Gmail as a stop gap. Someone please, give me an easy solution :smiley:

When you say “upgraded”, was it a fresh install, or did you use update manager to UPGRADE ?

Do you have a monitor you can use whilst diagnosing ?

If so, which graphics card do you have ? … open a terminal and enter:

sudo lshw -C display

hit enter, enter your password, and post back the output.

Can you also run:

gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

and when gedit opens, post the contents of that file.

Hi

It was a fresh install on a new (refurbished) machine. I have now re installed 11.04 from my boot disc and it is the same? Entered the commands you suggested in Terminal first command not found and blank window opened on the second? Resolution is set to 640 x 480 (4:3). Quality is rubbish and is so big I cannot access buttons I need to set up my email etc. I can live with having to Alt+scroll down to make things smaller but, then because of the quality cannot read anything and I still can’t get to the buttons required. :cry:

can you try the first command again … it SHOULD have returned something

For clarity

sudo lshw -C display

And remember Linux commands ARE case sensitive, so that’s a capital C

May be best to copy/paste the command.

:-[ Oops!!! this is what returned:

*-display
description: VGA compatible controller
product: C51PV [GeForce 6150]
vendor: nVidia Corporation
physical id: 5
bus info: pci@0000:00:05.0
version: a2
width: 64 bits
clock: 66MHz
capabilities: pm msi vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
configuration: driver=nvidia latency=0
resources: irq:16 memory:fc000000-fcffffff memory:d0000000-dfffffff memory:fb000000-fbffffff memory:40000000-4001ffff

Hope this means something to you? Debs

OK, as you have no xorg.conf file, the first thing you’ll need to do is create one.

To create one, open a terminal and enter:

sudo nvidia-xconfig

hit enter, then your password, then hit enter again.
(be aware, nothing will be echoed to screen whilst you enter your password, but it is going in)

Once that command has finished and left you back at an $ prompt, enter:

sudo nvidia-settings

and set up your monitor/TV in there.

I believe this is the video your looking for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9GzqPPTSH4How#wsHow to set-up dual-screen monitors in Ubuntu. (NVIDIA CARDS ONLY!)

Whooohoooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! Thank you all so, much!!! I had stumbled across that screen but, was not sure. :-*

No problem glad it worked. :slight_smile: