Skype & Sound settings

Hi folks, having looked into Linux over the past week or so (including reading several posts on this site & forum), I have opted to install it on my desktop - running it of a separate SATA drive. The desktop is not a ready-made system, but one I have upgraded along it’s lifetime.
Included in the box is a Creative Sounds SB X-Fi soundcard, as well as the on-board sound on the motherboard.
The version on Linux I have installed is Ubuntu 9.10 - Karmic Koala.

The issue;
In windoooze I can set skype to “ring” out through the soundcard - (goes through an external mixer to my speakers), I then have the skype set to have all skype call sounds go through my logitech headphones - but the important part is that the ringing comes through the speakers. When I am doing the online radio show I can then change the sound settings easily in skype on Windows over so that the call goes out to the mixer ( from the mixer it goes to a mac-pro that broadcasts to the streaming server via nice-cast - I also use a mac-laptop to play out pre-recorded ads, intros outros etc - that also goes into the mixer).
With the version of Skype I have on the Linux, and the sound settings I cannot set skype in the same way - the version of Skype I have is 2.1.0.8.1 (Beta) - and the sound options in there only allow it to be set to "PulseAudio server (local)
I have checked in the Linux sound settings, but cannot see any choices in there, nor any references to this PulseAudio server.

Any help would be gratefully received, I love Linux but I need the above sorted - I run my own business, and use an on-line number through Skype for my calls - I need to know if someone is calling if I am say in the next room or wherever in the house.
:wink:

See if the Gnome ALSA Mixer will let you switch between speakers and headphones… or use both.

You will have to install it… the package you want is gnome-alsamixer

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install gnome-alsamixer

then run it from Applications>Sound & Video>Gnome ALSA Mixer

Or try switching by changing the “Output” device/connector in sound preferences… right-click the Speaker icon by your clock (top panel), select Sound Preferences, select the Output tab.

You might find PulseAudio - Wikipedia helpful for an idea about how PulseAudio and ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture) work together.

Also see these links:
HOWTO: PulseAudio Fixes & System-Wide Equalizer Support
and
PulseAudio - The Perfect Setup (check part about Skype 2/3 way down page)
and

and
http://ronnietucker.co.uk/blog/2010/06/19/ubuntu-skype-pulseaudio-success/