[SOLVED] downloading java

Hi Mark

I need to download java to my netbook on peppermint 3, so i can swap files both ways from my smartphone using kies air.
needless to say i need a little help, as theres more than one java package,
thanks in anticipation.

Keith

OK, this worked for me in Peppermint 3 32bit … it will remove the openJDK/IcedTea JRE and plugin, and install the Oracle Java 7 JRE and plugin.

First lets get rid of the openjdk/icedtea java stuff:

sudo apt-get purge openjdk*

Now add a PPA and install Oracle java 7:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/java

then:

sudo apt-get update

then:

sudo apt-get install oracle-java7-installer

At some point it will ask you to accept a license … use the tab key to make sure “OK” is highlighted in RED, then hit enter … on the next screen, use the tab key to select “Yes” and hit enter.

Let it run till it returns you to an $ prompt … may take a short while (specially on an AA1) … it appears to stop at “Downloading Done.” but just wait it isn’t done till it returns you to an $ prompt.

OK for some reason the update-alternatives links now seem broken, so back in the terminal run:

sudo update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/javac javac /usr/lib/jvm/java-7-oracle/bin/javac 1

and

sudo update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/java java /usr/lib/jvm/java-7-oracle/bin/java 1

OK, now 2 tests to see if Java is working correctly -

Open a terminal and run:

java -version

This should be returned:-

java version "1.7.0_07" Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_07-b10) Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 23.3-b01, mixed mode)

Then in your web browser …

Go to this page:
http://www.java.com/en/download/testjava.jsp

It should say -

Your Java is working

Vendor: Oracle Corporation
Version: Java SE 7 Update 07

Links for reference:
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-install-oracle-java-7-in-ubuntu-12-04.html#more-13048
and

Thanks Mark.

works perfect,
checked phone and kies air works both ways, which it does.

again thanks

Keith :smiley:

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

Thanks for marking the topic (SOLVED).