SOLVED Sound Problem on Genius SM Value Series V1.2 sound card

Hi All,
I am having intermittent sound loss on my computer.
I have the disc supplied with the card and it has a Linux cmpci-xx.tar.gz file on it.
The instructions are difficult to understand so I am looking for more guidance.
I would like to install this file as when I start GnuBackgammon it sometimes says the CMedia files are not needed but this is the chipset fitted to my soundcard.
I have copied the tar.gz file to my Downloads folder.

take care
Don W
duh :-[

Can you post the output from:

sudo lshw -C multimedia

then run:

lspci -vnn

Find the section about the “Audio Device” and post that too.

It will be SIMILAR to:-

00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller [8086:27d8] (rev 02) Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Device [1025:015b] Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 45 Memory at 78540000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K] Capabilities: Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel

Hi Mark,
I ran sudo lshw -C sound and got

*-multimedia:0
description: Multimedia audio controller
product: CM8738
vendor: C-Media Electronics Inc
physical id: e
bus info: pci@0000:00:0e.0
version: 10
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=C-Media PCI latency=64 maxlatency=24 mingnt=2
resources: irq:19 ioport:b400(size=256)
*-multimedia:1
description: Multimedia audio controller
product: VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller
vendor: VIA Technologies, Inc.
physical id: 11.5
bus info: pci@0000:00:11.5
version: 60
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm cap_list
configuration: driver=VIA 82xx Audio latency=0
resources: irq:22 ioport:1000(size=256)
Don W

Hi Mark,
I ran lspci -vnn and get

00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller [0401]: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller [1106:3059] (rev 60)
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. A8V Deluxe motherboard (Realtek ALC850 codec) [1043:812a]
Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 22
I/O ports at 1000 [size=256]
Capabilities:
Kernel driver in use: VIA 82xx Audio
Kernel modules: snd-via82xx
take care
Don W

You appear to have 2 sound cards fitted.

Any reason for this ?

Is the C-Media card an add-in card, and the VIA an onboard card ?

If the VIA is an onboard card, and you don’t plan on using it … have you disabled it in the BIOS ?

Also, because you have 2 cards fitted, there will be TWO “Audio Device” sections when you run:

lspci -vnn

Can you run it again, and post BOTH sections.

Sorry Mark,
I didn’t realise the report ran to 2 pages.
The 2 audio pieces are

00:0e.0 Multimedia audio controller [0401]: C-Media Electronics Inc CM8738 [13f6:0111] (rev 10)
Subsystem: C-Media Electronics Inc CMI8738/C3DX PCI Audio Device [13f6:0111]
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 19
I/O ports at b400 [size=256]
Capabilities:
Kernel driver in use: C-Media PCI
Kernel modules: snd-cmipci
and

00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller [0401]: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller [1106:3059] (rev 60)
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. A8V Deluxe motherboard (Realtek ALC850 codec) [1043:812a]
Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 22
I/O ports at 1000 [size=256]
Capabilities:
Kernel driver in use: VIA 82xx Audio
Kernel modules: snd-via82xx
take care
Don W

Hi Mark,
The CMedia is the add in card and the VIA Technology is the onboard sound.
The Genius disk has Linux drivers but the VIA has Realtek ALC850 AC '97 audio CODEC for windows, as far as I can see.
Hope this helps

take care
Don W

Do you need both cards ?

I’m still trying to work out why you have 2 cards ? … as this may be part of the problem … it certainly complicates matters.

If you can live with one … which would you prefer ?

Hi Mark,
The machine came with the sound on the motherboard and a sound card fitted separately.
Either card will suit me, at the moment the speakers are plugged into the separate Cmedia board.

take care
Don W
I’m off to bed, big day coming up :wink:

OK … As far as I can tell, EITHER card will work in Linux without the need for installing any drivers … and it’s probably possible to get it working with BOTH … but if you only use the C-Media (or onboard) card it would probably simplify things if we turn OFF (disable) the onboard card (or remove the C-Media card).

Do you know how to disable the onboard (VIA) AC97 soundcard in your BIOS ?
(or if you’d prefer, physically remove the add-in C-Media card)

It may turn out that is all that’s necessary to fix the intermittent sound issue.

Something to bear in mind - If this was a second hand PC … it may be that the onboard sound was broken, that could explain the existence of the C-Media card … but it may have been that he just wanted a “feature” (such as a joystick port) that wasn’t present on the onboard card.

So personally, I’d probably go with the C-Media, and disable the oboard … we can always remove the C-Media and re-enable the onboard later if there are problems.

Hi Mark,
I have disabled the onboard sound card in the BIOS.
The sound seems to be working ok. (It plays the sound when I start GnuBackgammon and doesn’t say anything about removing files)
Thanks for your help, I will let you know if any issues crop up.

take care
Don W
The sound problem was caused by a bad video sound recording.
Sorry :-[ :-[ :-[

Hi Mark,
Sorry to bring this up again but when I started up Palapelli tonight I got this info.

take care
Don W

If everything is working … I’d tick the “Do not ask again for these devices” box, and say no :slight_smile:

As it appears like it want to remove BOTH ???

Thanks Mark

take care
Don W

Hi Mark,
Sorry about this but I am having sound problems again.
The latest programme to complain says
’ the multi media card C-Media does not work’
‘falling back to VIA Technology card’

I enabled the C-Media card in the BIOS but I still don’t get any sounds in this programme

Originally the VIA card was added to provide a joystick port and it comes with Linux files for the sound driver.
It looks like I need help again.

take care
Don W
PS The first instruction on the install sheet is
'Backup Config.in and Makefile in the Sound directory (usr/src/linux/driver/sound)
I am already lost but I can see a cmpci-5.68.tar.gz on the disc.

disable the onboard card in the BIOS … then send the output from:

lsmod

Ok Mark. I will do so now.
I have been having various troubles with my setup on both machines and am thinking of setting up with Peppermint 3 in 2 weeks time
I will carry on with this at the moment as the weather has stopped me getting outdoors at the moment anyway.

take care
Don W

Hi Mark,
This is what I get from lsmod

Don W

Do you need the joystick port ? … if not I’m thinking maybe it would be easiest just to physically remove the add-in sound card, then re-enable the onboard card.

Both sets of drivers still appear to be being loaded.

Thanks Mark,
I will get back to you with this problem when I get back to the computer.

take care
Don W