[SOLVED] Want (or rather NEED to) install Window$ help diag problem... Need help

IPv6 is disabled.
I just downloaded XPSP3 in Kubuntu and the fastest DL speed I saw was 4Mbps and in XP it went to 8Mbps

You’re still relying on figures … did it actually take longer ?

Just in case it IS something in your Kubuntu setup … have you tried from say a Ubuntu or Peppermint LiveCD/LiveUSB ?

I’ll try that in a bit Mark, the boss (Mrs pooky) has got me doing a bit of gardening putting plants in the front garden lol

I take it from your other topic that Kubuntu is actually quicker than XP in “real world” tests :slight_smile:
http://linuxforums.org.uk/index.php?topic=11920.msg95837#msg95837

… A LOT quicker judging by the times…

I think this is one of those cases where you should believe your eyes rather than the figures which could be being skewed by a number of factors.

Maybe if the speedtest is relying on something like flash or java and simple timing.

What I’m saying is that Windows may start off a small download faster but then choke, and Linux start off slower then climb … but if the speedtest only downloads a small file as the test it would be skewed in Windows favour where in the real world it would all balance out.

There is some clever marketing gone into VM speed ratings. See here

So how fast are we talking? Our up to 152Mb broadband makes light work of even the heftiest downloads:
A whole music album (60MB) in 4 seconds
A TV show (350MB) in 20 seconds
An HD movie (4.7GB) in under 5 minutes
An XBOX game download (20GB) in under 20 minutes</blockquote>

You do the maths, but in my book that is around 18-19MB/s max.
Now if you take that the 152Mb is expressed in megabits then the theoretical speed is 19MB megabytes (152/8)=19
As I have tried to point this out several times, you have been running around for nothing, VM was right all along, there is nothing wrong with your connection.

I know what you’re saying Sezo but to see speeds of 150’ish and then later see speeds as low as 9 is quite a shock.