Streaming Apps

Hi All

I’m beginning to dip my toe into the streaming world… ::slight_smile: and am looking for advice!

A pal has recommended an app, MOBDRO, designed for Android phones, but unfortunately my phone won’t run it as it’s too early a version to support it. Is there a way to install Android apps on a Linux box? My old laptop (Mint 17.1) is currently connected to my tv and runs ok with iPlayer, YouTube etc. so would be an ideal platform for MOBDRO.

Any ideas?

TIA

Rich

You could try:-

ARChon

and

or the Android APK

or one of the Android emulators

such as the official Android SDK (software developer kit)

[EDIT]

Another option may be to run Android X86 either in a VM / Dual Boot / or from an external HDD/USB stick

or RemixOS (built on Android X86)
http://www.jide.com/remixos-for-pc

Hi Mark and thanks for the reply.

I worked my way through the list and finally decided on the ‘run Android as dual-boot/from usb’ method as it seemed to be more straightforward.

I downloaded the .iso and wrote it to the stick ok (I believe!) but on booting from it, although I get the usual menu (try Android/install etc etc) but it won’t move beyond the logo screen. I remember with this laptop I had graphics issues with some distros but they were ‘black screen’ problems - this does show the Android logo which fades up and down but goes no further. Choosing the other options in the list gives the same result. I thought that the ‘install’ option might let me re-size the partition (Mint 17.1 occupies all of it) but it stalls almost immediately. Obviously, I don’t want to overwrite Mint - I’d prefer to run Android from the stick - but would attempt dual boot if necessary.

I also tried to get the RemixOS .iso but the site wouldn’t even connect so no joy there.

Thanks for the help so far.

Rich

Okay I’ve uploaded the RemixOS 32bit ISO to my dropbox … here’s a link
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31525164/Remix_OS_for_PC_32bit_B2016042001.zip
MD5: 9460f6400ee4517317ffdc516ad53a7f

Can you let me know when you have it so I can remove it from my dropbox.

Thanks Mark - successfully downloaded and sitting on my desktop.

Rich

I take it you know what to do with it ? … I think there’s a text file inside the zip along with the ISO

Well… I think I do!! I thought I’d followed the same procedure as before in writing to the stick but something was amiss, obviously! I’ll have another go and report back as and when?

Cheers

Rich

Hi Mark - I’ve hit a snag.

I burned the .iso to usb (formatted to FAT32) and USB Image Writer says all ok. However, the stick will not boot the laptop nor mount when the lappy is booted into Mint.

lsusb lists it but GParted reports ‘invalid partition table - recursive partition on /dev/sdb’ yet shows it in the list but as all space ‘unallocated’.

Rich

That warning is most likely telling you the USB stick is a 1:1 clone of the ISO image … eg. using a non-standard (for a USB stick) file system such as ISO 9660 (CDROM).

That is NOT a problem in and of itself.

Are you currently running Linux on this machine ? … if so, what’s the output from:

[ -d /sys/firmware/efi ] && echo UEFI || echo BIOS

and how did you create the LiveUSB ?

[quote author=Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) link=topic=12858.msg105359#msg105359 date=1464279586]
That warning is most likely telling you the USB stick is a 1:1 clone of the ISO image … eg. using a non-standard (for a USB stick) file system such as ISO 9660 (CDROM).

That is NOT a problem in and of itself.

Are you currently running Linux on this machine ? … if so, what’s the output from:

[ -d /sys/firmware/efi ] && echo UEFI || echo BIOS

This only -

richard@richard-Latitude-D520 ~ $ [ -d /sys/firmware/efi ] && echo UEFI || echo BIOS
BIOS

and how did you create the LiveUSB ?[/quote

I formatted the stick as FAT32, extracted the .iso into /home/Documents then used Mint’s USB Image Writer to create it. This has worked ok before when writing other Linux .iso’s (though it may have been formatted as EXT4). UIW reported it had written successfully and Mint’s Disk utility sees it as Android x86 Live CD but it won’t mount on insertion and won’t boot at startup.

Rich

If I have time I’ll take a look at it myself tomorrow and get back to you.

No worries! And thanks again for your time… :wink:

In the meantime, maybe you could try installing/using (in Pepermint/Mint/Ubuntu) usb-creator-gtk … or unetbootin.