Struggling Microsoft?

There have been many posts sprinkled throughout the Forum about Microsoft struggling to keep its dominance. Here’s another:

The following quote is from Money Week 25th July:
…18000 Microsoft workers were axed last week - one in seven of the workforce. It was the worst cull in the organisation’s history.

Should it gladden the heart, or as someone mentions elsewhere in the Forum, will it encourage the Big Boys to invade the Linux world to its disadvantage?

Should it gladden the heart, or as someone mentions elsewhere in the Forum, will it encourage the Big Boys to invade the Linux world to its disadvantage?

It already has Keith with Chrome (Andriod). Windows still have big problems with virus and malware issues (see my recent post) and people have just got sick of it along with the fact that Windows 8 has to be the most unpopular operating system of all time.

And I thought Vista was once considered to be M’soft’s worst product! But if W8 is worse still then I shall have problems as I have been asked to help Age UK tutor some of their “clients” in computer use, and I guess most will have W8 - or an iPad, whatever that is.

I have been asked to help Age UK tutor some of their "clients" in computer use

Can I join your class ? :slight_smile:

Graeme

Too late, Graeme - I’ve already joined yours on this Forum! and I am always grateful for your help.

In my situation it’s case of “in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king” and I feel a bit of a fraud, but if I can help others over the initial barrier that must be a good thing - and I have converted four elderly friends to Linux already.

but if I can help others over the initial barrier that must be a good thing - and I have converted four elderly friends to Linux already.

Sounds like you’re doing a great job keep up the good work :slight_smile:

Graeme

Most admirable … gimme a shout if I can assist in any way :slight_smile:

Thank you gentlemen. In fact much of the assistance I request from this Forum is to fix problems on my friends’ computers. Having installed Linux for them, it’s the least I can do! and I have learnt a lot on the process.

Keith

Well done, Keith. To nick a phrase - ‘every little helps’ - and no-one is too old to learn a new skill. :wink: I’m sure your ‘clients’ will soon be posting on here giving out advice of their own!

As for Microsoft, history shows that nothing lasts forever and some great ‘blue chip’ companies are with us no more. They will go the same way eventually… What amazes me is those folk who will not hear a word said against MS, despite all of the bad experiences. Browse any computer support site and they are full of the same issues with Windows that have plagued all versions for donkey’s years! (Actually, hats off to Bill Gates et al, they have managed to persuade millions of people to part with huge sums of money for what is, in essence, a badly flawed product!!)

I don’t see how anyone could make the same impact with Linux as they have with Windows, it’s too late now, the genie is out of the bottle! And if they did try it on, would there not be hundreds of developers around the world who would soon replicate any system they produced and put it out there for free? And is the fact it is free not the very reason that Linux hasn’t made the progress it deserves? To become popular you need a massive advertising budget and a free system generates no income. When the bell finally tolls, we, who have seen the light, will have to show the way… ;D

Rich

Thank you, Rich, although I often think that I am becoming too old to remember things - I have to make notes of things I find on this Forum!

I think you are right about M’soft, and the Linux “genie out of the bottle”, and the more we users can spread the word the better.

I think Microsoft is on the way out but not because their product is flawed (which it is) or because any other product is better (which there are) but because desktop computing is on the decline particularly personal desktop computing

How many young people do you see using a desktop computer or even a laptop at home these days, They’re all on their smartphone or tablet and as more of their computing is done in the cloud the need for a PC or laptop will gradually disappear.

Apple were first to recognise the potential of these devices and were aggressively developing them and marketing them while Microsoft developers were running around like headless chickens trying to fix Vista, and that’s why they fell behind, and I think there too far behind now to catch up

Microsoft still rule supreme in the enterprise and I don’t see that changing in the foreseeable future, Linux may gain a bigger foothold in the personal desktop space but that’s a rapidly shrinking market so unlikely to make any significant difference to Linux adoption and software development on the whole

Linux may take over in the gaming space but that could be a long way away if it ever happens

The future is mobile/portable devices and that’s what young people want, they don’t give one seconds thought to what it means for their privacy or their freedom, they don’t care they’re being tracked they don’t care if they’re being monitored, they don’t care they’re being manipulated and we can shout from the rooftops till we’re blue in the face on the danger these devices present to them or the dangers of non free software in general they just don’t care.

So I don’t do it anymore but one day they might care but it will be too late if it’s not too late already

You paint a very bleak picture, Graeme.

Mobile devices are all very well, but they are suited, broadly, just for use “on the go”. For example, one could not imagine performing office or technical work on a small device - or even processing the holiday snaps taken on ones mobile 'phone. I imagine that these new, mobile devices have opened up a new market without making much inroad into what is probably the core application of computers. I haven’t sampled the delights of these ultra-portable things so I am not in a position to pontificate.

I wonder if the great variety of Linux offerings is perhaps its undoing compared with the simple choice offered by M’soft’s “take it or leave it” attitude. There is also the issue of the target customer. There is the major home/office application of s/w but there are also infrastructure and technical applications. I understand that the Paris Metro runs on Linux, for example, and new examples arise with increasing frequency. The UKAEA lab where I worked was Linux-based (as is my Village Shop!), and I wonder if gov.uk’s decision to use Libre/OpenOffice on grounds of cost might one day morph into a Linux choice for its base software for the same reason. I guess people familiar with Linux in their work environment (once it arrives for its cost benefit) will be more inclined to repeat the experience at home - as they did with M’soft products.

Keith

Keith … can you get me a free lamp and nest-of tables ?

Oh sorry, that’s “IKEA” … my mistake :-[

Well it’s funny you should mention that. I just happen to have…

:slight_smile:

Things seem more positive than I thought. Good news. And all without advertising.