That's it I'm done with windows

Had to use windows last night to update the wife’s tablet via Kies.
As it was going to take a while I left it running and went to bed.
In the middle of the night Windows decided to download some updates and without asking or considering what other processes might be running, restart the computer.
This has resulted in a now bricked tablet which will take ages to sort out if I can even do it. If not I’ll have to buy her a new one.
Arrrrrggggghhhh.

Yeah I always thought the windows updater’s penchant for automatically rebooting in 15 … 14 … 13… a stupid idea that would bite you in the end.
Hell I’m too damn scared to go to the toilet during a windows update :o

Re:- “I’m done with windows”

:slight_smile: Me too!!

I hate it, with a serious passion, possibly even with intent. :o I refuse, point blank, to be involved with now. :-X

And as for “Kies” only running under windross - what were they thinking?? ::)Its flippin Andoid! should be easier to make it work under, or from another droid device…!!

I feel for you.

That’s no use to you though… however, the following links might be…

Granted, your tablet might not be stuck in recovery mode… BUT, there is a link with this article to:-

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1424997

Which might enable you to download the ROM image, and burn it back to the tablet… if you can find the right image there…Obviously, I don’t know which tablet it is… so…

Mrs Sim has a Samsung tablet, and frankly, if Samsung can’t be bothered to enable an update path through Android or linux, then we can’t be bothered to upgrade it… 8)

Good luck with it.

I agree with Sim entirely, I have an android phone (a so called Linux device) that I not only can’t connect via USB to my Linux PC but screwed my phone up in the process attempting it but will connect to my Windows PC no problem

I have 2 ATI Radeon video cards (perfectly capable hardware) rendered useless to me because we can’t get decent Linux drivers for them and if we do they’re almost impossible for someone without a degree in computer science to install

I never understood why Linus Torvalds gave the finger to nVidia at least they give us decent easy to install drivers

Rant over

galaxytdm I feel your pain I remember losing hours of work because I walked away from the PC and came back to find Windows rebooted for an update and lost everything never bricked a device because of it though, that must be a bitter pill to swallow

Graeme

That brings back some scary memories when I used to have an old Windows XP computer!

I’d be scared to go to the toilet too if I thought something would bite me in the end!

:o

LOL :slight_smile:

Whilst that old XP computer I had did its updates I could have gone to Spain and back!

as much as i hate windows, the automatic update feature can be turned off, its even there in linux

Auto updates on my wife’s windows 7 laptop is switched off but that dose not seem to stop the system rebooting during updates without operator confirmation.

Updates do not take as long as under XP but have been known to take up to 3 hours an auto restart caused so many problems as the system was in use at the time.

With tablets I have to say that my Nexus updates only through the Android operating system on the tablet and both my tablet and phone connect just fine to my Mint 17 64bit computers.

You shouldn’t have to disable automatic updates to safeguard your data from auto-restarts … that’s just ridiculous and asking people to make an unecessary decision between putting their data or their OS at risk

The OS should auto update but NEVER restart without user permission/input (and this behaviour should be the default) … simple as that.

Agree completely with everything said above.

If i were cynical (Ha!, as if!!), I might contend that windross is set up in this way to annoy good honest folk, which is a bit worrying. Either that or “they” did it by accident / lack of thought, which is also a bit worrying.

IMO, Both are symptomatic of the whole M$ philosphy as far as I can see, and simply reinforce my hatred of an “OS”, which isn’t really any such thing.

If i were cynical (Ha!, as if!!), I might contend that windross is set up in this way to annoy good honest folk, which is a bit worrying. Either that or "they" did it by accident / lack of thought, which is also a bit worrying.

My guess is that there’s too many Windows users who just wouldn’t bother to update if left to their own devices and because Windows is such an insecure operating system it’s set up that way to prevent propagation of viruses which gives Microsoft a bad name

Microsoft would rather you lost data that get a bad name

We should bear in mind that PC’s that become infected through users not updating can pass these infections/viruses on to others so I’m not sure it’s fair to blame Microsoft altogether

Graeme

That’s not what I’m saying … by default updates should be downloaded automagically, but only applied when the USER reboots or shuts down … the system itself should NEVER reboot without user input.

Horses and barn doors spring to mind :wink:

The ONLY time Windows should automatically reboot is where it detects a Linux dual boot setup … then immediately reboot into Linux for user protection :slight_smile:

That's not what I'm saying .. by default updates should be downloaded automagically, but only applied when the USER reboots or shuts down .. the system itself should NEVER reboot without user input.

Yeah I can’t argue with that the rebooting thing is just insane

I once lost hours of work due to that
but that said it is their operating system it doesn’t belong to the user so I suppose they can do what they like with it

Graeme