Total newbie wants to put Linux on Fuzitse B series lifebook

Hi. I am totally comfused as to wether this is a good idea or not. I want to extend the life of my lifebook which is struggling with windows programs although have doubled the RAM. Wondered if there was a type that would fit on it and keep it going, and how I would find it, and configured the touch screen and not lock old windows passwords etc?

basically where do I start?

yours hopefully

Di

I’ve had a quick look around the Interweb, and it would seem that most Linux distros will work with a Lifebook B series (although the exact model number might have helped).

A lot of people seem to say Ubuntu 9.10 (karmic) worked “out of the box”, but they had problems with Ubuntu 10.04 (lucid)

Some people report touchscreen calibration issues, but there are solutions available.

Can your Lifebook boot from a USB pendrive?.. if so, I would get an Ubuntu (karmic) LiveCD ISO, and create a (persistent) LiveUSB pendrive

Booting from a LiveUSB pendrive won’t alter your hard drive at all, so you can test Linux out before committing it permanently to your hard drive.

Download the Ubuntu 9.10 (karmic) ISO here:
http://releases.ubuntu.com/9.10/

Instructions for creating a LiveUSB (in windows) here:

(I know these instructions are for 10.04, but they apply to 9.10 too)

A good idea would be first to get a idea regarding hardware compatibility. So would booting first from a life-CD, e.g. http://www.knoppix.org/

When google didn’t lie this series B lifebook do have 256 MB? That very fine for Linux, viewing video, browsing, office, photo editing etc.

A costumer of mine has a similar Dell Insperion 2650, 256 MB, 8 or 9 years old and still a working machine.

shtromm is right, you will need a minimum of 256mb RAM to test with a LiveCD or a LiveUSB.

The reason I suggested a (persistent) LiveUSB rather that LiveCD was so you could test touchscreen calibration, and save any configuration changes.

A LiveCD may “just work”, but if you need to try changing any settings or loading any drivers, and make the changes available after shutting down the PC, a (persistent) LiveUSB would be a better bet.

Changes can be saved to a USB pendrive… they can’t be saved to a CDROM

Of course this is assuming you can boot from a USB pendrive… you may not be able to, in which case a LiveCD is your only option for testing.