UBUNTU 12.04 - Everything Frozen

Yesterday the automatic Update appeared in the middle of my desktop.
I gave the go ahead for 11.10 to Update to 12.04
I left the computer overnight to download as it said this would take hours.
This morning the updater needed my authorisation to install.
When I got home everything was frozen?
I tried to reboot. The computer got to the log in screen.
12.04 will no longer recognise my mouse or keyboard.
So can get no further.
Any Suggestions?

Are there any flashing lights on the keyboard ?

are you able to boot into recovery mode, by holding the shift key when you turn on your PC and keeping it held till you are offered the GRUB boot menu, then selecting the (recovery mode) option and hitting enter ?

if so, tell me what options you are eventually offered.

I tried recovery mode when the issue first started but it boots to the same log in page and the mouse and keyboard are not working. Everything is as it was in 11.10 upto the point that I need to type the password. The curser is flashing but the keyboard is not working. I can still boot to windows 7 (Duel Boot) because I am able to contact you by means of windows and everything is okay. I even tried the option of an earlier version of UBUNTU, I was able to log in (Further than 12.04) but was unable to access the internet. I have thought about burning a CD / DVD ISO file of 12.04 in windows and reinstalling from the disk. What do you think?

Have you tried booting an earlier kernel ?

Only you can decide that, but it would be handy to have a 12.04 LiveCD … if only to test your keyboard and mouse work with that.

Maybe we can use to to chroot and fix things.

[EDIT]

A quick Google suggests you are not alone with this problem … is this a wireless mouse/keyboard, and which connector … USB or PS/2 ?

Morning Mark,
Good to know it wasn’t something that I did. It’s a little unfortunate that others seem to be experiencing the same problem.
I have burned a live CD. Earlier Kernel?
The mouse and keyboard both came with the PC (Dell) and they are both USB

A Little tip, it’s always best to keep a spare PS/2 keyboard around.

When you boot up, just after your OEM/Motherboard screen hold down “shift” until you see -

GRUB Loading....

You should then have the option to boot from an earlier kernel version. Pick one and see if your keyboard and mouse work. If there isn’t any listed, reboot the system and boot from the LiveCD.

Select “Try Ubuntu”, and you’ll be presented with a 12.04 desktop just like on your hard-drive. It will be a tad slower since it’s reading from the CD but don’t worry too much about that. Just see if your keyboard & mouse work.

Whilst your on the LiveCD could you please open a terminal (Dash > Type “Terminal” > Terminal) and post the output of:

dmesg | grep -i usb

OK, as BkS suggests, lets be methodical about this …

First lets rule out a problem between 12.04 and your hardware by booting to a 12.04 LiveCD … to do this you have 2 options …
a) There is usually a key that you can press when you see the Dell screen just after turning on your4 PC, usually F12 or F10 … it should tell you on the Dell screen … something like “F12 = Boot Selection” or similar … when you press this, it should ask you which device you wish to boot from … Select CD/DVD.
or
b) Set the CD/DVD drive as the first boot device in the BIOS (it may already be set that way, in which case just insert the CD and boot).

When asked, select “Try Ubuntu” NOT “Install Ubuntu” … and test you can get to a working desktop with a working keyboard and mouse.

If you can, let us know, and move on to the second test.

Second test -

Shut down the PC and remove the 12.04 LiveCD.

Restart the PC (without the LiveCD) and keep holding the Shift key till you are presented with the GRUB boot menu … use the arrow keys to select an earlier kernel to boot from (they may be in the “Previous Version” submenu) and hit enter to boot it.

Let us know if booting an earlier kernel brings your keyboard and mouse back to life.

Then we’ll take things from there.

11.04 Live CD
Mouse OK Keyboard OK Internet OK

12.04 Live CD
Mouse OK Keyboard OK Internet OK (Making this post from 12.04 Live CD option)

Previous Kernel
Mouse OK Keyboard OK Internet Not OK

Boot to the 12.04 LiveCD, open a terminal and post the output from:

sudo fdisk -l

Is this a dual boot setup ?

The attachment is the output from Terminal as requested.
Yes my computer is duel boot with Windows 7

OK, try this … boot to the 12.04 LiveCD, set up a working internet connection, open a terminal and run these commands:

sudo mkdir /mnt/temp-chroot

then:

sudo mount /dev/sda5 /mnt/temp-chroot

then:

sudo mount -t proc none /mnt/temp-chroot/proc

then:

sudo chroot /mnt/temp-chroot su

then:

apt-get update

then:

apt-get upgrade

then:

apt-get dist-upgrade

Any errors let me know what they are … if no errors, reboot and see if things now work.

Please see attached text file.
Mouse and Keyboard still out of action.

Boot to the LiveCD again, and do -

sudo mkdir /mnt/temp-chroot
sudo mount /dev/sda5 /mnt/temp-chroot
sudo mount -t proc none /mnt/temp-chroot/proc
sudo chroot /mnt/temp-chroot su
dpkg --configure -a
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
apt-get dist-upgrade

But remember, the PC MUST have an active internet connection again.

WOW!
Thank you very much.

Did that fix your Ubuntu upgrade (including the keyboard and mouse issue) ?

Everything was working fine until I re booted for the second time?
The computer booted to a GRUM menu that looked wrong.
When the countdown finished the message read No Such Partition Found.
I have modified my post because this is the second time I have booted the computer since following your instructions.
12.04 did update when it booted the first time, so it may be something to do with that?
Also I have lost windows?

OK, boot to the 12.04 LiveCD … open a terminal and run:

sudo mount /dev/sda5 /mnt

then

sudo grub-install --boot-directory=/mnt/boot /dev/sda

Now REBOOT.

When Ubuntu starts … open a terminal and run:

sudo update-grub

When that command finishes, reboot and see if both Windows and Ubuntu work.

Okay
Your suggestions worked like a dream.
The computer boots as it should.
I am able to use both UBUNTU and Windows 7,
Both the Keyboard and the Mouse are working.
I will inform you if anything happens.
I don’t know how to thank you.
This is the second time I have asked for assistance and the second time you have solved my issue.
Thank you very much.

You’re very welcome :slight_smile:

I hope it is not presumptive to add my “me too” to this issue. My results are similar, but I do not have a dual boot configuration (so no GRUB?). This is a Lenovo with AMD64. I also performed an upgrade from 11.0. If I boot from the disk, I have neither functional keyboard nor mouse. I downloaded a 12.04 LiveCD, and if I boot from that, I can get the keyboard to work (sort of), but no mouse. And I cannot figure out how to navigate (move the cursor, change the window focus, etc.) without a mouse. I would love to try some of the suggestions posted here to complete the (failed?) upgrade process, but first, I’ll have to get to a point where I can actually type commands. It seems as if the USB ports are no longer functional, as I got the keyboard working by plugging a keyboard directly into the PS/2 port. But I tried the same thing with a USB mouse and a USB to PS/2 adapter, but that is still not working. It seems something is horribly wrong with this distro! I hope y’all can help me revive my system. Thanks, in advance, for any helpful suggestions.