Understanding libimobile

This is just me on a wee learning curve

I’m trying to understand why since the ios7 update to apple iphones they won’t connect to a Linux PC but will connect to a Windows PC

My daughter has a laptop and a PC both running PM4 and she thinks it’s amazing particularly the speed and she’s very happy with it but she said to me today why can’t i connect my iphone I used to be able to

it was a reasonable question I thought but I had to admit I didn’t really know

So I have a few questions hopefully someone can answer

(1) What has the ios7 update done that prevents Linux systems connecting ?

(2) Did apple do it deliberately and if so why ?

(3) Why will it connect to a Windows PC and not a Linux PC ?

(4) Whose responsibility is it to fix the this ?

(5) Will it be fixed and if so when ?

Many thanks

Graeme

OK, here’s how I understand it … but don’t take this as gospel…

To get apple products to connect, libimobiledevice/usbmuxd took advantage of a loophole that allowed non Apple USB chargers to connect and identify themselves.

with iOS7 they’ve closed that loophole … so no more cheap chargers, and no more Linux connecton.

It’s nobodies “responsibility” to fix it … but the authors of libimobiledevice (the last time I looked) said they had a working solution and were about to release it … how long (if ever) before that gets into the Ubuntu 13.04 repo’s is anyones guess.

Remind me about it after Christmas, and I’ll take a looksee if there’s a version I can get launchpad to compile and bung in my PPA.

[EDIT]

Be aware, the above only (AFAIK) relates to the new “connection” issue where products like the new iPhone refuse to authenticate and you get stuck in a loop of " allow this PC" … “Yes” … “allow this PC”…

There’s also the fact that Apple regularly change the database format on iDevices … itunes can work with the new format, but Linux devs have to backwards engineer it again.

Currently if I try to use something like Banshee to sync my sons iPod, the music appears to copy across but never appears in the list on the iPod … then if he tries to sync with iTunes in Windows it says the database is corrupt and the iPod needs a fulkl recovery procedure to fix it.

Personally I’d just steer clear of connecting Apple products under Linux … even when they manage to overcome the database issue, Apple will probably change it again and you’ll trash your database again ::slight_smile:

There aint much you can do besides not buying Apple, and/or let Apple know they are at best missing out on, and at worst antagonising a growing market sector … it might also be worth pointing out that as an Apple product user you feel let down by their lack of Linux support.

To get apple products to connect, libimobiledevi ce/usbmuxd took advantage of a loophole that allowed non Apple USB chargers to connect and identify themselves.

So was this a security threat or did apple just not like non apple chargers charging their shiny devices ?

Apple say it was a “security fix” … read into that what you will :wink:

Also, please read the edit above.

Also, please read the edit above.

Yeah I just read the edit thanks

To be honest I thought the best way for her to move files from her iphone to the PC would be through icloud but when she logged in icloud it didn’t show up any of her photos or video, we couldn’t find them anyplace or anyway to upload them maybe there was something we were missing because I don’t see any point in icloud if you can’t do that, i use airdroid to connect my Android phone i can access everything no problem

I honestly can’t understand what people see in these crippled idevices both my daughters and their partners own them, sometimes I think they have them just to piss me off, and what really annoys me is they can’t seen to grasp that they’re being ripped off

anyway rant over

many thanks

Graeme

Isn’t there a dropbox client for the iDevices ?

Not that that will help you with music etc … the iDevices are just too locked down :o

[EDIT]

I honestly can't understand what people see in these crippled idevices both my daughters and their partners own them, sometimes I think they have them just to piss me off, and what really annoys me is they can't seen to grasp that they're being ripped off

Tell me about it ::slight_smile:

Isn't there a dropbox client for the iDevices ?

I’m not sure, I did think of that but Dropbox only gives 2gb free storage (she had nearly 5gb of photos and video) but it’s worth looking into, another idea I had was setting aside free space for her on my NAS and letting her sync to that through own cloud or bittorrentsync if that was possible

I feel another project coming on :slight_smile:

:slight_smile: