Upgrade er stuck?

Decided to upgrade to 11.10 but using update manager went to 11.04 first.
Downloaded and installed (mostly) ok and then asked about grub update so I went with the offered choice (keep current grub I think) and clicked forward.
Mouse froze, screen went black and it’s just sat spinning the HDD and cooling fan for 45 minutes now is this right or has something gone wrong?

I’m guessing something has gone wrong, but I can’t remember exactly what happened when I attempted an Upgrade, I seem to vaguely remember it appearing to have frozen, but I’m fairly sure that was before the “keep current grub” message, and I’m also talking about 11.04 → 11.10

When I went from 10.10 → 11.04, I did a fresh install.

If I were you (and the hard drive is still active) I’d give it a while longer and see what happens, upgrades take longer than a fresh install (sometimes MUCH longer) … but at the end of the day, it’s your call.

Well, left it an hour then switched it off. Seems like it was a restart error, but then it said my hard ware cannot run unity so I re booted using ubuntu classic and got a message about docky needing something (comes and goes too quick to read) and the desktop keeps flickering.

Try removing Docky from the Startup Applications, by unticking it, and rebooting.

Or open a terminal and enter:

sudo killall docky

and see if that solves the flickering.

Well, got it working after a fashion. Had to run it in Ubuntu classic with no effects.
Docky will work but a lot of it’s options are disabled.
Apparently it needs ‘compositing’ to work properly.
I’ve run update manager but it say there are no updates.

Sounds like a graphics driver problem … what’s the output from:

sudo lshw -C display

And which version of Ubuntu are you at now ?

The upgrade was from 10.10 to 11.04.
The output is

*-display
       description: VGA compatible controller
       product: 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller
       vendor: Intel Corporation
       physical id: 2
       bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
       version: 02
       width: 32 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
       configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
       resources: irq:16 memory:f0000000-f7ffffff memory:e8000000-e807ffff ioport:1800(size=8)

Just wondering though, is it worth jumping to 11.10 before we start sorting out problems?

Well maybe … but leave it with me a bit whilst I try to find out how well 11.10 will work with an older intel GFX card … as there is NO fallback to Gnome 2.x in 11.10 … so it would be a good idea to check if your GFX card will support either Unity, Gnome 3, or gnome-session-fallback

Also, if you are a fan of Docky … I’ll need to test if it still works in gnome-session-fallback

I’ll get back to you as soon as I know one way or the other.

Wouldn’t say I’m a big fan of docky but do find it a nice add on.
It’s not such a big problem if it all goes wrong, I’ve still got my maverick disc and a full system back up from Friday.

Your call then … do you want me to see what I can find, or do you just want to go ahead and give the upgrade a try ?

Personally, I’d test 11.10 from a LiveCD first … not that that will tell you anything about gnome-session-fallback, as 11.10 by default falls back to Unity 2D IIRC … you have to install gnome-session-fallback post-installation if you don’t want Unity 2D

But it may give you an idea how well other things work.

Well I’ve had a message telling me my hardware won’t run unity and as the whole point of the upgrade was to have a look at unity then there’s probably no point in moving on from 11.04 so let’s see what we can salvage from the current situation.

Ahh, but you CAN run Unity, just not the default 3D Unity … You CAN install unity-2d

11.04 falls back (from Unity 3D) to Gnome 2.x by default for cards that don’t support Unity 3D … but you CAN install unity-2d, then switch between Unity 2D and Gnome 2.x at the “Login” screen.

11.10 falls back (from Unity 3D) to Unity 2D by default for cards that don’t support Unity 3D … then you can install gnome-session-fallback if want a desktop that LOOKS like Gnome 2.x (really it’s Gnome 3 behaving like Gnome 2.x) … or if your card supports it you can install the full Gnome 3 (shell), it’s unlikey YOUR card will support the full Gnome 3, but hopefully will be fine in gnome-session-fallback, and/or Unity 2D … so YOU would able to switch between Unity 2D or gnome-session fallback at the “Login” screen.

Complicated now isn’t it :wink: … first there’s the switch from Gnome 2.x to Gnome 3 to contend with, and on top of that, Ubuntu have decided to throw Unity into the mix which has further complicated matters … it’s more CHOICE, but gets a bit confusing when trying to explain what comes with what :o

So the question is … if you want to try Unity, do you want to

a) Install unity-2d in 11.04 … but still have Gnome 2.x to fall back on.
or
b) Attempt an upgrade to 11.10 which will fall back to Unity 2D by default … but be able to install/run gnome-session-fallback if you wish.

??

If I were you, I’d download and try an Ubuntu 11.10 LiveCD and see what you make of Unity 2D … and if it works.

Or install unity-2d in 11.04, and test drive it from there … before making up your mind whether to try an 11.10 upgrade … but as always, the choice is yours to make.

It’s hard to say whether Unity 2D would be more stable in 11.04 (where it’s NOT a default desktop so may have received less development), or in 11.10 (where it IS the default fallback desktop, but may be buggy for a different reason … because 11.10 is so new)

Default Desktop = Unity (3D)
                               /

Ubuntu 11.04 (Natty) - Fallback Desktop = Gnome 2.x

Can install Unity 2D

Default Desktop = Unity (3D)
                                 /

Ubuntu 11.10 (Oneiric) - Fallback Desktop = Unity 2D

Can install Gnome 3 and/or gnome-session-fallback (Gnome 3 acting like Gnome 2.x)

Does that help any ?

Ha, you’ve gone to a lot of trouble there for such a short reply.
Let’s try installing unity 2D with 11.04 and see how it looks.

Beat the heck out of watching the film the missus was watching :wink:

sudo apt-get install unity-2d

Short nuff for ya :wink:

Once that is installed … log off.

When you are at the login screen, click on your username to bring up the password dialog box , but don’t enter it yet.

Now if you look at the bottom of the Login screen, you will see Ubuntu Classic (no effects) … click that and change it to Unity 2D

Now continue to login normally.

Yeh, thanx for that, thought I’d try myself first though and went for the synaptics approach and what do you know, it worked.
Now all I got to do is work out how to add things to the side bar (odd place to have it). but so far it seems to be working.

Go into the Applications Lens (on launcher bar … looks like magnifying glass with a + in it) and search for any application you want to start.

Then either …

Drag it’s icon to the launcher bar

Or

Start the application … when an application is running it will display it’s icon on the launcher … right-click its icon (on launcher) and select “Keep in launcher”, or “Pin to launcher”, or whatever 11.04 said.