Very weird behaviour problems.

Really rather concerned about my laptop right now… the CPU is running far too hot. It’s at 66*C! D: It’s been acting very strange from how it normally behaves and all that’s running actively is Firefox. I honestly don’t understand why it’s running so hot and so feckin’ slow! There’s a least a 3 sec delay between clicking on an application and it starting up.

Output from sensors:

acpitz-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1:       +57.0°C  (crit = +107.0°C)                  
temp2:       +62.0°C  (crit = +106.0°C)                  
temp3:       +63.0°C  (crit = +106.0°C)                  
temp4:       +48.0°C  (crit = +106.0°C)                  

coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Core 0:      +65.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)  

coretemp-isa-0001
Core 1:      +66.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)  

I can’t have the CPU frying out, I NEED this laptop. :frowning:

I wrote in another thread earlier, abotu my CPU being hotter than it usually is, and also my laptop have very weird behavior problems like being very slow, delays when starting programs etc, however the laptop now decides it wants to take these behavior problems to even worse extremes. Nautilus/Disk Analsyser report I have no free space or just 4.0KB of free space when I should have at least 20GB free and that the partition /home is mounted on is only 79GB. Disk Utility reports that the partition is indeed what it should be at 121GB, so I’m very confused about all this. Somewhere along the line, something is reporting false information and therefore I can’t do anything. This problem really makes me want to install Windows, and I never thought I’d say that :frowning: It’s like my laptop is on the verge of dying and I just hope it isn’t! Because I haven’t got money for a new one just now. Really hope this can be fixed :frowning: Things are putting themselves back to default, or clearing history or something, and it’s not right.

Output from sensors:

acpitz-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1:       +46.0°C  (crit = +107.0°C)                  
temp2:       +56.0°C  (crit = +106.0°C)                  
temp3:       +56.0°C  (crit = +106.0°C)                  
temp4:       +42.0°C  (crit = +106.0°C)                  

coretemp-isa-0000
Core 0:      +44.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)  

coretemp-isa-0001
Core 1:      +46.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)  

Output from mount

/dev/sda5 on / type ext4 (rw,errors=remount-ro,commit=0)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
none on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
none on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=0620)
none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
none on /var/run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)
none on /var/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
/dev/sda1 on /home type ext4 (rw,user_xattr,commit=0)
binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
vmware-vmblock on /var/run/vmblock-fuse type fuse.vmware-vmblock (rw,nosuid,nodev,default_permissions,allow_other)
gvfs-fuse-daemon on /home/bally/.gvfs type fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon (rw,nosuid,nodev,user=bally)
/dev/sdb1 on /media/KODAK type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=udisks,uid=1000,gid=1000,shortname=mixed,dmask=0077,utf8=1,showexec,flush)

Output from sudo fdisk -l

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1   *           1       14711   118163456   83  Linux
/dev/sda2           14711       30402   126032897    5  Extended
/dev/sda5           14711       19301    36864000   83  Linux
/dev/sda6           29422       30402     7868416   82  Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda7           19301       29422    81298432   83  Linux

Partition table entries are not in disk order

Disk /dev/sdb: 998 MB, 998768640 bytes
20 heads, 51 sectors/track, 1912 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 1020 * 512 = 522240 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sdb1   *           1        1913      975246+   6  FAT16

So what happens if you close Firefox ?

and does:

show anything using excessive rsources ?

It may be those bad hard drive sectors playing up again, or spreading … force fsck to run at next boot, and see what happens:

sudo touch /forcefsck

then rebooot … fsck should run as it boots.

I hope not. Think I’ll say to my mum about getting me a new HDD, or even an SSD for Xmas, and an NAS. The laptop is about 3 years old so, I would guess the HDD is probably on it’s way out.

Also could you just merge my other post from the other thread with this one? Just to keep everything in one place and tidy.

Going to reboot the laptop, so I’ll try write down what fsck says or even better take a video haha.

Which posting ?

This posting.

Done :slight_smile:

Just finally rebooted the laptop, and fsck didn’t report anything, checks went fine and booted fine.

does that mean normal service has been resumed ?

Not to sure if I’m honest. The CPU temp seems to shoot up as soon as I play a video :confused: goes from 47/48C to 65/66C.

Have you got the latest BIOS for your lappie ? … be aware, I don’t give out instructions for BIOS upgrades online, as I’m not going to be held responsible for a bricked system … that was just a question :wink:

Not to sure if I’m honest. I’ll have a check.

From what I can see there is 2 BIOS upgrades for my laptop. I’m on version 1.10 for an Acer Aspire 6920 LF1, versions 1.14 & 1.16 are available.

I checked Acer’s support site.

Hmm … there are 2 BIOS updates (1.14 and 1.16) for the 6920 and 6920G … and both appear to be the same (ie. the MD5 checksums match for 1.16 for both models) … but as the 6920-LH1 isn’t mentioned, I’d email acer and ask them directly as flashing the BIOS with the wrong binary can brick your whole PC.

Nowhere does the Acer site state exactly what was fixed in the BIOS updates >:(
(OK, 1.16 mentions - Fixes MC sleep SMBus error to cause ARCADE power on. - but 1.14 doesn’t mention anything)

Not to mention the fact that you’ll probably have to make a DOS floppy or CD to install it … as the only other option (that I’m aware of) is to do it from Windows ::slight_smile:

LF1 is only the model number, but yeah it was originally Windows so I’d expect to only be able to upgrade through Windows?

Just out of interest what condition is your battery in? I had a laptop that was always getting hot it had a battery that did not hold the charge for more then 15 mins.

I found that when I bought a new battery that the overheating problems went away.