VLC video and download issue

Hey guys I downloaded this film:

There is a link in the comments to download subtitles as it is in a few languages. I got the file (zip) and opened video in VLC- plays fine, but I cannot get the subtitles to work. I did the obvious as in looking at the tools and trying to open it but nothing happens.

Also when I open VLC my internet bar with the minimise thing isn’t there ( as sometimes I pause a vid to check an email) which means that I have to close VLC entirely and then re open it if I want to that. F11 doesn’t work.

Open VLC without a film … then even if it starts full screen you should still have the menubar at the top … then to exit fullscreen (without F11)
View > Fullscreen

What’s the name of the film file ?

what’s the name of the subtitle file ?

Are they in the same directory ?

It doesn’t matter whether I open VLC with a film or not, there is no Mozilla internet bar showing and no amount of F 11s makes it come. View does not have full screen on it, it just has the interface stuff. Sorry I can’t send you a grab as VLC fills the full window, nothing else shows and I have to close it to see anything else. I don’t know why it does this as the internet bar always showed before.

The film is an mp 4 and the subtitles folder is a zip. I don’t know what you mean by directory.

I’m confused as to what VLC has to do with Mozilla ?

You said you’d “downloaded” the film to a file on your computer … did you ? …if so, what is the name of the file ?

and if you extract the contents of the zip file … what are the names of the files inside it ?
(edit: would I be right in saying the zip file contains a file called
The.Red.Violin.1998.720p.BluRay.x264.DTS-WiKi.srt
?)

Subtitles will be loaded automagically by VLC as long as the name of the film, and the name of the .srt file are the same (except for the extension) and they’re both in the same folder.

eg. - If you have a film file called say
my-movie.m4
and a subtitle srt file called
my-movie.srt
and they’re both in the same folder (such as both being on your desktop, or both in your home folder) … then starting the film my-movie.mp4 fle in VLC will automatically display the subtitles.

I'm confused as to what VLC has to do with Mozilla ?

Mozilla is my browser, and the browser bar will not display when I have VLC on like it used to. It is very annoying as if I need to pause the vid to check an email I have to shut down VLC.

You said you'd "downloaded" the film to a file on your computer .. did you ? ..if so, what is the name of the file ?

and if you extract the contents of the zip file … what are the names of the files inside it ?
(edit: would I be right in saying the zip file contains a file called
The.Red.Violin.1998.720p.BluRay.x264.DTS-WiKi.srt
?)

Subtitles will be loaded automagically by VLC as long as the name of the film, and the name of the .srt file are the same (except for the extension) and they’re both in the same folder.

eg. - If you have a film file called say
my-movie.m4
and a subtitle srt file called
my-movie.srt
and they’re both in the same folder (such as both being on your desktop, or both in your home folder) … then starting the film my-movie.mp4 fle in VLC will automatically display the subtitles.

Yes, the subtitle thing is as you described it, both are downloaded and in same folder but subtitles don’t work

Still don’t get the relation between VLC and the browser … are you somehow using VLC “inside” the browser ?

Yes, the subtitle thing is as you described it, both are downloaded and in same folder but subtitles don't work

a) if you have the film DOWNLOADED, why do you need the browser ?

b) have they both got the same name ?
(I keep asking for the file names, and you keep not answering)

I think Mark that the OP is saying that when she watches a vid she also has her browser open so that when necessary she can pause the vid and use the browser to check email. Currently when using VLC to play the vid the browser toolbar is not visible so she is unable to switch to browser to see email. That’s if I am reading this correctly.

Degsy

Correct Degsy! It always used to be able to be there before.

[quote author=Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)
(I keep asking for the file names, and you keep not answering)
[/quote]
Yes, I said the film is an mp4 with the film’s name and the other one ( subtitles) is a zip with the film name.

See grab ( Ignore the clockwork mp4 - that is another one unrelated- this is my films folder).

Yes, I said the film is an mp4 with the film's name and the other one ( subtitles) is a zip with the film name.

But that leaves me guessing what the film name was “as you downloaded it” … it also means I have to go study the youtube page, then download what I “guess” is the zip file you downloaded, then unpack it to find the name … why so cryptic ?, just gimme the file names when asked, simplez :wink:

Anyway … you haven’t changed the name of the srt (subtitle) file to match that of the film

right-click the The.Red.Violin.1998.720p.BluRay.x264.DTS-WiKi.srt flle, and rename it to The Red Violin HD.srt … now play the “The Red Violin HD.mp4” file, and subtitles should automagically be displayed.

Or change the MP4 filename to
The.Red.Violin.1998.720p.BluRay.x264.DTS-WiKi.mp4

Thanks Mark, I will do that after dinner.

Did all that and still the subtitles don’t appear. Also VLC is still weird- I still can’t get the Mozilla Firefox bar to come at the top so I can pause the video.

Also VLC is still weird- I still can't get the Mozilla Firefox bar to come at the top so I can pause the video.

You’re confusing the heck outa me … what has Firefox got to with VLC ?
(why would you expect a Firefox toolbar to be able to pause a video you’re playing in the VLC media player)

OK, to DOWNLOAD the youtube video, then download/unpack the subtitles, then rename the subtitles to the same name as the video file, then play the video (with subtitles) in VLC…

Open a terminal and run these commands in sequence:

sudo apt-get update

then

sudo apt-get install youtube-dl

then

mkdir ~/Desktop/redviolin

then

cd  ~/Desktop/redviolin

then

youtube-dl -f 18 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBQurTMveac

then

wget -O redviolin-subtitle.zip http://dl.opensubtitles.org/en/download/subad/src-api/vrf-e53ab3f53d/4149696

then

unzip redviolin-subtitle.zip The.Red.Violin.1998.720p.BluRay.x264.DTS-WiKi.srt

then

mv -v The.Red.Violin.1998.720p.BluRay.x264.DTS-WiKi.srt "The Red Violin HD-pBQurTMveac.srt"

then

vlc ~/Desktop/redviolin/"The Red Violin HD-pBQurTMveac.mp4"

I’m not sure if this helps but in my view the simplest and fastest way to play and download youtube content is with SMPlayer it has a youtube browser which allows to play and download video content it couldn’t be easier to use, no web browser no terminal, no annoying adverts it’s just so simple, have a look at the video here http://smplayer.sourceforge.net/

There’s a version in the repos but it doesn’t work properly so I suggest adding the PPA from their website to get the latest version

Good luck

Graeme

Thanks guys- I’m off out to my bro’s now, so will reply more fully tonight. Mark- I am not meaning that I am trying to play VLC with firefox, I am saying that I could once open VLC and be able to have the firefox bar at the top so I could pause the video and check an email. Now I have to close the whole thing to do that.

So you have VLC in full screen mode ?

Hitting F11 should bring it out of full screen mode and put it back in windowed mode.

If whenever you play a video it automagically jumps into full screen mode … go to

Tools > Preferences > Video

and take the tick out of “Display > Fullscreen”.

Thank you very much indeed Mark, I shall do all that tomorrow!