VM kernel driver issue (SOLVED)

Hi Guys

I have a 1tb ext usb drive full of data formatted to ufs (BSD) that I need to transfer over to my PC, I had previously installed PC-BSD on to a spare hard drive on my PC which led me to disaster (long story) so I thought I’d try running PC-BSD in a VM, I installed Virtualbox and done the initial settings but when I start installing the OS i’m immediately met with this error message

Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver (vboxdrv) is either not loaded or there is a permission problem with /dev/vboxdrv. Please reinstall the kernel module by executing

‘/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup’

as root. If it is available in your distribution, you should install the DKMS package first. This package keeps track of Linux kernel changes and recompiles the vboxdrv kernel module if necessary.

So I did as the message suggested and here’s the output

graeme@Linux1 ~ $ sudo apt-get install dkms
[sudo] password for graeme: 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
dkms is already the newest version.
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  libwxbase2.8-0 libwxgtk2.8-0 libwxsqlite3-2.8-0
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
graeme@Linux1 ~ $ sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
sudo: /etc/init.d/vboxdrv: command not found
graeme@Linux1 ~ $ 

I’ve navigated to /etc/init.d and there is no vboxdrv setup in there

I’ve searched many forums online to find a solution and although many people have encountered this issue running “sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup” fixed it for them but as is to be expected not for me (no surprises there)

Anyway any help or advice would be much appreciated

Graeme

How did you install virtualbox ?

How did you install virtualbox ?

Initially I installed from the package manager later I removed it and installed from the Oracle website but that was exactly the same. I’ve also tried it with an earlier kernel (3.8.0-23) but it’s just the same

uninstall it.

install kernel-headers-generic and build-essential:

sudo apt-get install kernel-headers-generic build-essential

reinstall virtualbox.

any change ?

graeme@Linux1 ~ $ sudo apt-get install kernel-headers-generic build-essential
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
E: Unable to locate package kernel-headers-generic
graeme@Linux1 ~ $

Sorry:

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic build essential
graeme@Linux1 ~ $ sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic build essential
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package build
E: Unable to locate package essential
graeme@Linux1 ~ $ 

Damn it

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic build-essential

:wink:

My typ-foo seems to have abandoned me today :o

Thank you Mark that seems to have worked, I haven’t installed the OS yet but it’s put a stop to that error and allowing me to continue to the next stage

Wouldn’t it be nice if these things just worked :slight_smile:

Ok didn’t take me long to hit the next brick wall, I started installing PC-BSD and was almost immediately hit with “cpu doesn’t support long mode” as per screenshot

Is there anything I can do about this ?

Graeme

Are you trying to install a 64bit guest OS on a 32bit host OS ? … or worse, on a PC that’s CPU is 32bit ?

If you’re on a 64bit host OS and the CPU supports hardware virtualisation … see the response here

https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=59887

Otherwise get a 32bit version of PC-BSD (if they do such a thing ?)

Are you trying to install a 64bit guest OS on a 32bit host OS

That may have been a possibility but I found another PC-BSD disc and it’s installing ok

or worse, on a PC that's CPU is 32bit

The PC is 32 bit but I’m installing as a guest OS in Virtualbox

Doesn’t matter … AFAIK virtualbox will still require a 64bit capable CPU for a 64bit guest.

Glad you’ve fond a copy that works though :slight_smile:

Thanks again, It’s all looking good at the moment but I have a pretty general question about VM’s, hope this is not a stupid question but it’s something I’ve always wondered about

I’ve allocated 512mb ram for the guest OS, does that mean I lose that ram on the host PC or is it only allocated to the guest OS when being used ?

Graeme

Dunno for sure…

But you’ll only loose it to the host whilst that particular VM is running.

So just to clarify if I have 2gb of physical ram installed on my pc and I’ve allocated 512mb to the client OS in virtualbox so long as I’m not running that client OS I still have 2gb available to me and the 512mb is only utilized by the client when it’s running ?

Yup :slight_smile: