Weird boot issue after update (SOLVED)

This evening there was updates waiting to be installed one of the updates I assume was a kernel update, once finished it asked to reboot, during reboot a message appeared on the top left of the screen

Keys: continue to wait, or press S to skip mounting of M for manual recovery
then the red progress slowed down to a crawl , I waited till it finished (approx 5 mins) but it didn’t boot, I tried rebooting again but the same thing happened, then I tried booting into an earlier kernel (3.13.0-8) but the same thing happened only this time I pressed S and it booted up straight away, I tried again with the latest kernel (3.13.0-39) which also booted after pressing S

Any help would be much appreciated

Graeme

It seems there is a file system error, so you need to find out which is the offending drive/partition mounted in fstab.
Did you check which partiton (or drive) did not mount when you booted after pressing S?

You could try (just in case it is the root partition:

cd /
sudo touch /forcefsck
sudo reboot

Hi SeZo
Thanks for your help

I ran the forckfsck command you posted and and during boot it displayed in the top left hand corner

keys: Press C to concel all checkes in progress
then after a short while reverted to
Keys: continue to wait, or press S to skip mounting of M for manual recovery
, I pressed S then it booted normally

Did you check which partiton (or drive) did not mount when you booted after pressing S?

All drives and partitions seem to be mounting, all the network shares are mounting I also have a secondary drive installed and it’s mounting ok

Graeme

Ok I found the problem

It was caused by this entry in /etc/fstab

/dev/disk/by-id/usb-Kingston_DataTraveler_2.0_0014780EC5F75C8B0D000025-0:0-part1 /mnt/usb-Kingston_DataTraveler_2.0_0014780EC5F75C8B0D000025-0:0-part1 auto nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show 0 0

I had that drive plugged in and formatted it using disks and I’m sure I clicked on a setting that said " Mount at startup" or words to that effect, so I assume by doing that it wrote the entry in /etc/fstab

So this had nothing to do with the update as i first thought

Many thanks for your help

Graeme