What do you mean "it's better than Firefox?!"

[float=right]
http://linuxforums.org.uk/MGalleryItem.php?id=332
[/float]I’ve always been a fan of web browsers that aren’t “Internet Explorer”, all the way back to my first - NCSA Mosiac. Every browser has it’s pro’s and con’s and with each new release, typically things keep getting better and faster - but at the end of the day, a browser is just a browser and there’s not that much to choose from, right?

Well … maybe, maybe not.

I first tried out Google Chrome about 6 months ago … and I’ve not looked back. Whereas I’ll load Firefox on occasion to access old bookmarks etc, or test a website for compatibility, Chrome is just SO much better than Firefox it really is a little embarrassing.

Not to put too fine a point on it, firstly it’s MUCH faster than any other browser, Firefox included. Secondly as each tab is an independent process, even if you manage to hang a tab, it’s just the tab you need to kill and not the entire browser. It just “feels” way more competent than Firefox and if you’re using anything that’s Javascript / AJAX based, Chrome will typically give you a ~x2 performance boost. (or more if you normally use something else such as Opera)

If you don’t have it already, and want to take a look then click here.

Goddamn you!
If Firefox hadn’t stuttered three times today under the weight of +40 youtube vids in a row over 3 tabs (certified youtube browser, remember :P) I wouldn’t have even been tempted to so much as look at Chrome after that blog.

Now, it took a minute to display the linux uk forums and longer to load a youtube page (not the vid, just the page). It hadn’t been to either, so I’ll go easy on it for a day or a half. However, whilst the spell-checker actually works (mute because it worked in linux with firefox), if chrome doesn’t have a “search this page for text” feature, I’m outta here and going back to my beloved, customisable Firefox and probably won’t be looking back. :slight_smile:

Not only does it have a search, but it doesn’t take the an entire line off the bottom of the screen (!)

Search is in the icon next to the spanner icon… or Ctrl+F

I . . . but . . . OK, the search feature is much better, if not as quick to use. Fine, you’ve convinced me for another week, though pages are still loading just as fast, if not slower than in Firefox. Bandwidth is nothing to do with it because this is a university network.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/817310667.png

I’m guessing you have a prob somewhere, as Chrome not only starts up in about 1/8th the time FF takes to start, but page load times are approx twice as fast… and this is on EVERY PC I’ve ever put it on :slight_smile:

So there! :wink:

Firefox and Seamonkey do both suffer from two main diseases:

1. Memory: Both have a tenancy by not cleaning up bitmaps to “run amok” and allocating more and more heap over time. I personally saw Seamonkey running with 1.3 GB ram and slowing down a desktop only after 6 hours of youtube …

2. Crashing: There is persistent problem that plugins, most notable the flashplayer, do crash Firefox and Seamonkey. This can be easily reproduced with TED (http://www.ted.com): Open a Ted, and view a talk in a new tab, close the tab and crash-bong-bang

Whist I still prefer to work with Firefox, especially do to the non-script extension, trusted webpages with flash I view with Opera.

Oohhhh, that explains so much. :o

To an extent it depends on what you’re browsing … it’s worth being aware that for ‘newer’ Javascript type applications, Chrome is around twice as fas as Firefox, and on my last check (which was this year) Firefox was 3x faster than Opera. So whereas Opera is ‘nice’, it’s not up to much if you’re running heavy JS / Web2.0 apps …

It can slow down older boxes to such an extent that the GUI is unusable: In this case you either kill the X-Server with CTRL+ALT+BSPC (and losing perhaps unsaved data) or login remotely via ssh and end the misery with

pkill -KILL seamonkey

The -KILL (sig 9) seems a bit brutal, but it seems that with the default sig (15 TERM) seamonkey/firefox tries to “clean” up it takes longer to terminate the processes.

Mmm, be warned that a number of distro’s (Ubuntu for example) now disable CTRL-ALT-BSPC by default (!)

You will obviously know this, but for others…

It’s now AltGr+SysReq+K

or you can re-enable Ctrl+Alt+BkSp by adding the line:

setxkbmap -option terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp
to [b] ~/.xinitrc[/b] (hidden file)

See here for Gnome and KDE GUI instructions:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/DontZap?action=show&redirect=DontZap

I tried that just now to see if it would work, and it just left the screen with a frozen mousepointer on a black background instead of taking me back to the cli. Is that what is supposed to happen (I hope not?).

Still worked apart from that from this computer via ssh (that was on my laptop, I’m listening to music on this computer hardly gonna interrupt that, even to satisfy curiosity) but I wasn’t sure which of the ps -A things might need killing :p.

It’s “supposed” to kill and restart the X session, leaving you back at the login screen.

BTW, if your system ever seems completely frozen… don’t turn the system off by holding the power button.
instead hold AltGr+ SysReq and in order type R-E-I-S-U-B, your system will reboot gently (ie. without screwing the file system)

Easy way to remember REISUB=Restart Even If Sytem Utterly Broken

or REISUO will shut down without a reboot

Linux practically does not “freeze”, what happens is that the load on the system is so high that the performance goes so bad that it appears as “frozen”. This normally due to an amok running process (e.g. firefox).

Workaround: Log into the box via a remote shell as root (ssh -l root <hostname/IP>) and run the top-cmd. top shows you the process-id and the resource this process uses. With kill (or pkill) you can stop this process and the box will return into a normal state within a short time (it can take a few seconds, because such processes do in almost all cases occupy the Swap on the HDD (one reason of the low performance) and cleaning up the Swap on the HDD will take some time).

Pulling out the power is the most cases safe (expect for your unsaved data :wink: ). The most common filesystem with Linux, ext3, will just replay the journal and will work fine. But: I experienced twice that such a situation corrupted a ReiserFS in a way that most of the data were lost.

Or … install monit , edit the config and add something like;

check system myhost
  if loadavg(1min)>10 then exec killall firefox

:slight_smile:

In case you’re interested, the REISUB is acutally sending commands to the core linux kernel. This is what it’s doing:
R= Take control of the keyboard
E= tell all running programs except from the master control system to terminate
I= forceably kills any programs which didn’t shut down from the last command
S= force any unwritten, cached data to be written to the hard-drives. Some files, when they’re written to your hard-drive are cached in RAM, which is wiped when it looses power, in order to speed things up. This command makes sure they’re all written to the drive OK.
U= remount the drives read-only, makes sure nothing can write to your hard-drive(s)
B= restart the system

I remember it with ‘Raising Elephants Is So Utterly Boring’ :slight_smile:

Always interesting to know whats going on under the hood, although I still prefer the other way of remembering it, specially considering the “B” is just begging to be replaced :wink: