Wireless Cards which are compatible

I’m looking for a wireless card to put in my desktop which is compatible with linux - I have tried two others so far with no success, so could somebody recommend a wireless card?

Preferably this would be connected by PCI-E, and my price range goes to £80 if this is worth while. It should be fast, as the PC’s overall specs are high end.
Finally, please do not redirect me to a list of cards. I find these incomprehensible and they do not tell me how fast everything is, or how trustworthy. I’d honestly be perfectly happy if someone just replied with a definitive answer and posted a link to where it’s being sold on amazon (though the link is not necessary). Thanks!

What about the D-Link Xtreme N DWA-556 card?

It’s compatible with Linux, has G & N wireless ranges so you get the best speeds possible and it’s only £60 give or take.

First of all, are you talking about internal PCI-E slots -

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/fc/PCIExpress.jpg/250px-PCIExpress.jpg

or Mini-PCI/Mini-PCI-E -

or Expresscard (top two in this Pic) -

or cardbus/PCMCIA -

Secondly … the “speed” of the card is going to be limited by the “speed” of your router … what is the make/model of your router ?
and if known … is it wireless “G” or wireless “N”

and lastly … Which Linux distro/version/architeecture … as in Ubuntu 11.10 64bit

I don’t know where BkS got the “its compatible with Linux” from (and I’m not doubting him) for the D-Link DWA-556 … but I’m reading that people have had some issues (probably fixable) with certain versions of Ubuntu … though it works in Fedora … so we’d need to know.

Mark, I’m talking about internal PCI-E slots. I have experience putting things in these and I understand that they are quite fast.
My Router is the BT Homehub 2.0: http://www.shop.bt.com/products/bt-home-hub-2-0-56B4.html
However this will probably be replaced soon (I suspect it will be replaced by the new BT Homehub router - the one from the adverts on E4).
Both of these are wireless N.

My distribution will always be the latest version (although right now it’s 11.10, but that’s only because it doesn’t have a wireless card). I often switch to other Ubuntu based distributions such as Elementary, Mint and Xubuntu, but I suspect these come under the same category regarding internet connection (and if they don’t, Ubuntu is my main system anyway).

Yes, they all come under Ubuntu as they’re all based on Ubuntu. The 566 should suit your needs perfectly. It’s been praised a lot online. :slight_smile: Just do a google search “D-Link 566 Wireless card ubuntu”

Do as BkS suggests, and as I’ve previously mentioned, you’ll find some people having problems with the D-Link Xtreme N DWA-556 …

Take a look at this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-WN881ND-300Mbps-Wireless-Express-Adapter/dp/B006BSPTAQ/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

It uses the Atheros 2T2R chipset … which Googling suggests works well with Linux … and if you check the comments on the Amazon link you’ll find someone that states it “works out of the box” in Ubuntu … it’s also a f**k sight cheaper than the D-Link :wink:

The manual is here … though little help:

But at the end of the day, the choice is yours.

The D-Link 556 uses the Realtek RTL chipset IIRC.

Nope … it uses the Atheros AR5418 chip :slight_smile:

See the madwifi compatibiity page:
http://madwifi-project.org/wiki/Compatibility/D-Link

[EDIT]

Yup just downloaded the Windows drivers directly from D-Link … and they contain athw.sys and athwx.sys … so definitely Atheros … Oh I do so love to prove a point :wink: … so -

taken from the Windows drivers netathw.inf fie:-

%ATHER.DeviceDesc.DWA556% = ATHER_DEV_3A701186.ndi, PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_0024&SUBSYS_3A701186

So if you now do a search for the Vendor:Device ID string 168C:0024 … you’ll see it uses the (atheros) ath9k driver in Linux (or madwifi) :slight_smile:

Do I win a prize now ? … no … damn :frowning:

I can give you a floppy drive? :stuck_out_tongue:

Well I bought the card suggested (the TP-Link from the amazon link that Mark suggested) and it certainly isn’t working out of the box.
Are there any drivers I can try installing? (I currently have internet, but it’s inconsistent).

Send the output from:

lspci -vnn

and

sudo lshw -C network

and

ifconfig

and

iwlist scanning

and

rfkill list

I’m a bit confused by your explanation … is it working intermittently, or not at all ?

Oh, and which distro, version and architecture are you using now ?

attached is a zipped folder containing the outputs from those 5 commands.

I’m concerned, because (as you may recall) we’ve had a similar conversation before - this is the third wireless card I’ve tried and the output from each has been the same. This tells me that there’s n issue with the computer itself - perhaps the PCI-E slot is dodgy or something? I would suspect that I’m inserting the cards wrong, but this can’t be the case because a) it’s not rocket science and b) it came with one inserted, and the same problems were evident.

I’m getting to the stage where I think computerplanet are responsible - what should I now do to ensure I’m not just ripped off for several hundred pounds? Can I return the whole PC?

attached (sorry)

Can you send the output from:

iwconfig

and explain the problem … because those outputs seem to suggest it IS working, and there IS a connection to a router ???

Which version of Ubuntu are you currently running, and which architecture ?

and is your routers SSID BTHomeHub2-QP36 ? … and if so, is there any particular reason it’s set to channel 7 ?

Have you set IPv6 to “Ignore” for the connection in NetworkManager ?

iwconfig is attached.
There is no connection to a router that I’m aware of (i.e. I don’t have internet, and when I click on my wireless network from the appindicator it does the searching animation for a few seconds and then says it’s disconnected).

I am running Ubuntu 11.10, 64-bit (intel CPU).
My router is BTHomeHub2-QP36, and I don’t know what channels are - should it be set to another channel? If so, what? And how do I change the channel?
IPv6 is on ignore.

When I say it’s working intermittently, I mean that I managed to connect wirelessly once (in fact, I used an ethernet cable to get a wired connection, and the wired connection didn’t work but suddenly I got a wireless one).

OK, the good news is it CAN see your router … and it’s probably not a hardware issue :slight_smile:

these are the 2 lines where the problem lies:

Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:2 Invalid misc:24 Missed beacon:0

Looking for a solution now.

OK, try this:-
Unload the ath9k driver:

sudo modprobe -r ath9k

then reload it with the nohwcrypt option set on:

sudo modprobe ath9k nohwcrypt=1

When the wireless comes back up, can you post the output from:

iwconfig

again.

BTW, if this works, it won’t survive a reboot … we’ll get to that if it works.

I enter those commands but the computer still won’t connect. Here is the new iwconfig:

does:

iwlist scanning

return anything ?

attached are iwlist scanning before and iwlist scanning after the sudo modprobe business. ie

startup->iwlist scanning (before) → sudo modprobe -r ath9k → sudo modprobe ath9k nohwcrypt=1 → iwlist scanning (after)