XboX's keep losing connection...

I have 2 XboX’s connected to my Virgin (Not-so) SuperHub and for about 2 months now I have been losing connection when watching videos through my wired XboX. I have been through the process of re-booting everything (PC/Router/XboX) to see if the problem would go away but it wont and it seems that I have to leave it more than a day before it will connect again, but then drop connection again shortly after. I tried my other wireless XboX this morning and it does the same, drops connection so far into watching a video off the PC.

I don’t get this problem when playing games after signing in on my XboX Live profile!!!

Is there a problem with Xbox Live or something (But then, my last statement disses this question…)

If I call the Virgin media tech helpline, the second I mention I’m running Ubuntu, I get ‘what’s that’ and after mentioning linux I get ‘Sorry, we can’t help you, it’s not Window$’. SO… VM are totally useless.

Have you setup Ushare for streaming to the Xbox’s?

If so what’s the contents of your Ushare config?

sudo gedit /etc/ushare.conf

My guess is there’s maybe something setup wrong, that could be conflicting with something else in the server settings.

Yes, see these threads;
http://linuxforums.org.uk/index.php?topic=9716.15
http://linuxforums.org.uk/index.php?topic=9780.msg70020#msg70020

[spoiler]# /home/peter/.Ushare

Edit this file with ‘dpkg-reconfigure ushare’

Configuration file for uShare

uShare UPnP Friendly Name (default is ‘uShare’).

USHARE_NAME=Ubuntu

Interface to listen to (default is eth0).

Ex : USHARE_IFACE=eth1

USHARE_IFACE=eth0

Port to listen to (default is random from IANA Dynamic Ports range)

Ex : USHARE_PORT=49200

USHARE_PORT=49200

Port to listen for Telnet connections

Ex : USHARE_TELNET_PORT=1337

USHARE_TELNET_PORT=1337

Directories to be shared (space or CSV list).

Ex: USHARE_DIR=/dir1,/dir2

USHARE_DIR=/home/peter/.Ushare

USHARE_DIR=/media/Win-Storage,/media/Win-MyDocs

USHARE_DIR=/media/Win-MyDocs

USHARE_DIR=/media/Win-Video,/media/Win-Storage,/media/Win-MyDocs

Use to override what happens when iconv fails to parse a file name.

The default uShare behaviour is to not add the entry in the media list

This option overrides that behaviour and adds the non-iconv’ed string into

the media list, with the assumption that the renderer will be able to

handle it. Devices like Noxon 2 have no problem with strings being passed

as is. (Umlauts for all!)

Options are TRUE/YES/1 for override and anything else for default behaviour

USHARE_OVERRIDE_ICONV_ERR=

Enable Web interface (yes/no)

USHARE_ENABLE_WEB=no

Enable Telnet control interface (yes/no)

USHARE_ENABLE_TELNET=no

Use XboX 360 compatibility mode (yes/no)

USHARE_ENABLE_XBOX=yes

Use DLNA profile (yes/no)

This is needed for PlayStation3 to work (among other devices)

USHARE_ENABLE_DLNA=no
[/spoiler]

A few things we can try, but first I just want to make sure thee not-so-super, superhub isn’t to blame, although it most likely is.

If you haven’t already, port forward the ports for the xbox, and also port forward the port for Ushare in the hub.

You can do that by going to:

http://192.168.0.1

By default username and password are;

user: admin
pass: changeme

Click the “Advanced Settings” button at the bottom of the 3 big red buttons. Scroll down to Port Forwarding, and then enter the ports to forward.

Xbox ports: 88 UDP, 3074 UDP & TCP, 53 UDP & TCP, 80 TCP.

Ushare port: 49200

Once you’ve forwarded the ports, start Ushare by doing:

ushare -xD

Then stream a movie and see how long it lasts.

If that doesn’t work, we can always try something else. :slight_smile:

EDIT: Oh before I forget, can you post the contents of

ls ~/peter/.Ushare

What do I set for the local IP address? Do I leave it as it is ..0.0 as you didnt mention it, either forgot or didnt mention it as to leave it as it is, I’m just checking.

ls ~/peter/.Ushare

peter@Petes-ubuntu-pc:~$ ls ~/peter/.Ushare
ls: cannot access /home/peter/peter/.Ushare: No such file or directory
peter@Petes-ubuntu-pc:~$

[EDIT]
There is no config file as such, Mark got me to create symlinks

Just seen the small error…
peter@Petes-ubuntu-pc:~$ ls ~/.Ushare
Drive3 Drive4 Pictures Win-MyDocs
peter@Petes-ubuntu-pc:~$

[EDIT]
What do I select for Services too? (Choose Predefined Services), there’s a long drop-down list or don’t select anything?

If your wired Xbox has a static IP, use that IP for the Xbox ports, and Ushare ports.

You don’t need to select services, they’re just there for faster loading of common ports.

I think the problem may be that, because the Ushare directory contains symlinks to the drives with a lot of content it isn’t able to handle it. This is a common bug within Ushare itself sadly and I don’t think it’s ever been addressed.

Still test it out with the command I gave above, and let me know how you get on.

I don’t think it has a static IP Address.
I managed to give my wireless printer a static IP Address a while ago but have no idea how I did it (and didn’t name it), so don’t know how to go back and give it a name.

I entered the info in but nothing has taken, something to do with the port forwarding local IP Address. Invalid Local IP Address.
It needs to be something other than ..0.0

I’ve not had this problem before, only from about 2 months ago. I cant remember if Ushare is set to update itself (PPA)

If it’s been added from a PPA it will update itself.

I’d recommend you setup a static IP for the Xbox, you can do that by following this guide:

That way you can port forward those ports.

I’ll give that a go.
In the meantime, I found this; Archived - Virgin Media Community Maybe this is why its not working…
I’m just on the phone to them now… on hold as usual…

Just got off the phone…
As usual, a foreign call advisor. got me to go to some web page using an IP address and then enter an access code that downloads a WINDOW$ program. Guess what… I DON’T RUN WINDOW$, told the guy that and no surprises what his response was. he then passed me onto the tech help that you have to pay for (which he DIDN’T tell me) and they responded the same… NO WINDOWS… NO HELP.

I’ll give that a try when I can actually connect to my XboX as it seems to be temperamental.

Your able to access your network settings from the dash inside the Xbox. ??? You shouldn’t need to “connect” to your Xbox.

The thread about Xbox Live being down is irrelevant to this issue. Since we’re dealing with the LAN and not the WAN, it has no affect on your internet, or Xbox.

If you really want a Virgin techie to answer your questions, you’ll have to lie to him that you run Windows. It’s the only way you’ll ever get through something and since your run Linux, phoning Virgin is pretty much useless unless you need to report a fault with the Superhub or Cisco TiVO TV box.

Let’s start fresh. Ushare is undoubtly very unstable, so I’ve gone to the liberty of finding another way for you to connect your Xbox to your PC in order to stream files.

The way we’re going to use WILL have a GUI so you won’t have to type in commands… as much.

I’m going to create a video showing how to do, and then I’ll post it here. Just sit tight, and if you’ve port forwarded anything just delete those.

I recommend you keep your Xbox with a static IP though, it’ll come in handy.

I’ve managed to sort out my wired XboX’x static IP Address but didn’t get anywhere in setting up port forwarding as it was coming up with an error, something to do with having to enter an IP Address?

Don’t worry about the port forwarding thing, just forget about it.

I’ll post the video as soon as I’ve got some time on my hands.