xorg eating CPU

Hi guys

I’ve just installed Peppermint 5 on the wifes PC, when trying to boot to the live session I had to set the boot parameter to nomodeset as I got a screenfull of U’s & ^, once it did boot into the live session the display had vertical lines running from top to bottom, but I continued to install and since installation everything’s fine except I notice xorg is eating CPU. it runs constantly around 32% which seems high to me as my own PC runs at around 1%.

here’s the display output

pat@Linux2 ~ $ lshw -c display
WARNING: you should run this program as super-user.
  *-display UNCLAIMED     
       description: VGA compatible controller
       product: 661/741/760 PCI/AGP or 662/761Gx PCIE VGA Display Adapter
       vendor: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]
       physical id: 0
       bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
       version: 03
       width: 32 bits
       clock: 66MHz
       capabilities: vga_controller cap_list
       configuration: latency=0
       resources: memory:d8000000-dfffffff memory:febe0000-febfffff ioport:e800(size=128)
WARNING: output may be incomplete or inaccurate, you should run this program as super-user.
pat@Linux2 ~ $ 

My own thoughts are that this is a driver issue as I believe SIS graphic cards are a problem in linux, unfortunately I don’t have another card I could try but if another card is the only solution I get one

Any help or advice would be much appreciated

Many thanks

Graeme

HIGHLY likely to be the SiS graphics chip, they seriously blow chunks in Linux.

Hi Mark

As it turned out I remembered I had a Radeon PCI EXpress card in my NAS which I swapped for and old PCI card I had lying around and fitted the Radeon to the PC, at first it made no difference I tried all sorts of things till I eventually screwed the system so bad it wouldn’t boot, so I re-installed PM5 again only this time with the Radeon installed and it all went sweet, and everything seems good so far, CPU usage is down to around 7% and running well

Many thanks

Graeme

I’m still putting this down to the SiS card … which wasn’t in use when you reinstalled :wink:

Could be wrong … but that’s my assumption until proven otherwise :o

SiS graphics chips, and recent versions of Xorg don’t seem to mix well.
(not that they were much better in older versions)