XP Graphics Card support in Virtual Box?

I’ve installed XP SP3 on Oracle VM Virtual Box, but i can’t run programs i.e. Live For Speed
as there is no graphics drivers found. i downloaded the latest Nvidia 8400GS Graphic Drivers but that didnt install either as it couldnt detect any hardware.

I am running Ubuntu 10.04 as my main OS… it has Nvidia Graphic drivers installed as i have a Nvidia GE 8400 graphics card, so i’m puzzled in what to do… help :frowning: ?

Ok, first question;

Why are you using Oracle Virtual Box instead of the much better, Ubuntu supported, “KVM” option?

Well Oracle Virtual Box “was” the only virtual machine program i knew of, and since i wanted too install
XP inside Ubuntu, i was told to use Oracle Virtual Box.

VirtualBox and KVM are fundamentally different types of virtualisation.

You may want to have a look in the Settings > Display > Video. And check that you have adequate video ram assigned and you have 3D acceleration enabled.

You may also want to check you have DirectX installed (on Windows, obviously :))

Personally, I wouldn’t use a Virtual machine for gaming on heavy, modern titles. VMs add quite a lot of overhead to your windows programs.

Well this is really my only alternative. As wine runs it faaar too slow, and I dont want to dual boot.

You will probably find it slower via a VM, than through WINE! Most VM software is not compatible with interfacing directly with the graphics system, which is what is needed for proper games. Dual-Booting is (IMHO) the only real way at the moment of gaming and using a linux system :frowning:

I have check the Video Ram assigned and it is currently maxed out at 128MB. i also have 2d & 3d acceleration enabled.
Direct X won’t install for some reason, something to do with low disk space :S ? i have a 160GB virtual harddrive though…
with 981MB of base memory.

Well from the looks of things, i am going to have to dual-boot…

turns to support for dual-boot help :smiley:

I’m with kirrus on this one… when we talked about VM’s before I didn’t realise you meant for gaming, dual boot is definitely the way to go for running Windows games.

Have you got a spare hard drive?.. because otherwise you’re going to have to use gparted to resize your Linux partitions, create an NTFS partition, install Windows (which will kill grub and leave Linux unbootable), boot from a LiveCD and reinstall the grub bootloader.

Which is why it’s usually easiest to install Linux AFTER Windows… the Windows bootloader will overwrite grub.

But if you have a spare drive, you could disconnect the Linux drive, install windows to the second drive, reconnect the Linux drive, and use your BIOS to select which drive to boot from… this will keep BOTH bootloaders.

Although it IS possible to get the Windows bootloader to boot Linux it’s not as easy as using grub, and AFAIK won’t boot Linux if it’s on another drive… at least the Vista/Win7 bootloader won’t… never tried getting the XP bootloader to boot a second drive.

Unfortunately i don’t have a second drive at spare :confused: and opening the case of my PC is more complex then trying to figure out the Da Vinci code. Lol.
However, this would be a good time to try other distro’s of Linux i.e. Mint 9 :smiley:

OK, best way to install then…
Install from your XP disk first, but when it gets to the drive partitioning part, delete all partitions, and create a windows partition of the size you require, and install Windows leaving the rest of the drive unpartitioned.

Once XP is installed, boot from a Linux LiveCD and click the Install icon (usually on the desktop), and when it gets to the partitioning tell it to install Linux to the rest of the drive, and let it put grub on the MBR of the drive… grub will overwrite the Windows bootloader and offer you both OS’s at boot up.

REMEMBER… this is going to wipe your current install and ALL files, so backup anything you need first.

Ok, got it man.

Boot XP from disc > Delete all current partitions > New XP Partition > Install Linux to the rest of the drive.

[=

Yup… fairly straightforward if you install Windows first :slight_smile:

You would be better off with Mint 8 though, as Mint 9 is based on Ubuntu 10.04 so will suffer from the same issues.

Okie doke.

Got a link? Cant find it in the distro’s section.

>>http://serverfault.com/questions/1898/virtualization-for-linux-vmware-vs-virtualbox-vs-kvm-vs >VirtualBox and KVM are fundamentally different types of virtualisation .
I can see what you're looking at, and generally this site provided good information, however in this instance I'm afraid the chap you are relying not necessarily accurate. Although KVM *might* "technically" be a hypervisor (I'd have to look up the definition) in terms of what most people understand hypervisors to be and in terms of how it interacts with users, it's not.

Typically you expect a hypervisor (Xen for example) to boot up, then run an instance of an operating system (say Linux) in it’s “Dom0” … then optionally a number of virtualized instances in “DomU”'s … so essentially the hypervisor is the ‘real’ Operating System.

In this instance, KVM is actually a kernel module which works as an extension to QEMU, so in practice it’s an acceleration option for QEMU, rather than some sort of fancy stand-alone Hypervisor / operating system. (QEMU actually does quite a lot of the work and indeed set the standard for file formats etc …)

At the moment you will find that KVM is quicker than VirtualBox, and you’ll find that VirtualBox has 3D acceleration support and KVM does not … however it’s generally accepted that this 3D acceleration doesn’t work terribly well, even when it works. Bottom line, Kirrus is right, don’t use it for games!

That said I use KVM with Windows XP and Quick books, performance is quite respectable … it can play pinball and Mech Commander at quite reasonable speeds, but I wouldn’t want to try any sort of 3D game … and these Forums run inside of KVM … as does linux.co.uk … so it’s no slouch … :slight_smile:

As much as i respect your brains, please dont be all brainy on me :frowning: your frying my brains CPU :stuck_out_tongue: its working overtime. lol.
but with that said, it’s come to my attention that XP doesnt like my router, so its saying ‘bleh not connecting to him’ and they just don’t want to be friends.
So… taking matters into my own hands i did some ‘Googling’ and found nothing of help, so im going to clear XP & install Windows Se7en instead. Since I know it will connect.
After installing that i will then install Linux Mint 9 with the link thanks to Mark.
All I can do is hope this works…

No reason why it shouldn’t but I’d be more tempted to sort out the XP problem, it’s either drivers or wep/wpa key if wireless or DHCP is turned off in the router and you haven’t put a static IP in Windows.

Assuming this is a static PC and a cable is inconvenient, for static machines Ethernet-over-Power works very well and tends to provide a much faster and more reliable connection than WiFi. (indeed I’ve run my XBox Live connection this way for years) And I guess the point of this recommendation, all you need is a wired ethernet port on your PC, no wireless, no authentication etc… it’s all zero settings plug and play.

You can buy the adapters anywhere (Amazon, PC World etc) … more details here;
http://www.homeplug.org/home/

I too have akways used wired connections, i tend to prefer them over wireless, so my PC is connected to the router by ethernet cable, as is my Xbox.
So i dunno what went wrong. But my attention is now more focused to Windows Se7en. I installed it successfully, but it wont boot :confused: It just hangs at my harddrive boot screen.
So there is 2 options from what i can see… Install again and hope it works… or Install Vista from my backed-up copy.