Restore Mint 21 Log in screen

I am using the mate desktop and recently installed GNOME on to my system. I just did not get on with it and have managed to remove most of the issues that occurred.

However, for some reason the log in screen after booting has remained GNOME and I want my mint screen back and any remaining blot from GNOME gone from my system.

Any help would be welcome.

Hi, well depending on what you’ve changed … :slight_smile: , you can change the login manager with;

sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm3

If you have multiple installed, it should give you a menu, I think the other option is usually “lightdm”, but whatever mate uses should be offered.

Then you can set the default session with;

$ update-alternatives --config x-session-manager
There are 4 choices for the alternative x-session-manager
(providing /usr/bin/x-session-manager).

Selection    Path                      Priority   Status
------------------------------------------------------------
* 0            /usr/bin/gnome-session     50        auto mode
  1            /usr/bin/gnome-session     50        manual mode
  2            /usr/bin/lxsession         49        manual mode
  3            /usr/bin/openbox-session   40        manual mode
  4            /usr/bin/startlxde         50        manual mode

Press <enter> to keep the current choice[*], or type selection:

Again, the choice will depend on what you have installed … not sure which session manager Mate uses, but it should Google :slight_smile:

Hi, gdm3 and lightdm are both available so left it set to gdm3.
the options in session were already set to mint-X.
Changed to another version of mint and rebooted and still got the GNOME log in screen.

Noticed that in the usr folder there are still a large number of folders from GNOME.

Hi, sorry if I wasn’t clear, GDM is the Gnome Display Manager. If you leave this as the default, it’s going to offer you a Gnome login prompt. If you select “lightdm”, as this is the only other option I’m guessing it’s the one Mint uses so it should offer you a Mint login :slight_smile:

Noticed that in the usr folder there are still a large number of folders from GNOME.

When you install the gnome desktop package, it will install lots (!) of dependencies and associated packages. If you then remove the desktop package, it will, but it won’t necessarily remove the dependencies, you’ll need to do that by hand … although “apt autoremove” might remove a few …

Thanks, this resolved the issue but still being offered large number of GNOME desktop packages.

Mm, that might be a case of un-installing each one, unless anyone knows a shortcut …