The Fibre has landed

So after finally BT sent my special offer email with the full-fibre price (after the fleet of Open Reach vans finally left the estate) that was just too good to ignore … much as I tried for at least 4 hours. Two weeks on and there is an engineer downstairs putting together a fibre termination unit.

So before I lose my old connection, the speed test settings look like this;

Screenshot from 2024-03-26 13-20-25

Which is pretty much bang on for the product I currently have which I think is billed at £31.99 / month. The new product is an additional £14 a month which I’m hoping to make back in reduced hosting fees …

Getting the fibre from the hole in the pavement, through the ducts, around the house and into the house have taken around 1h20m, which seems pretty good so far for a lone engineer.

… to be continued.

Ok, so it went something like this … (!)

1> “All done!”
2> "I’m only getting ~ 690Mbps download and 50Mbps upload
1> “Yeah, it might take a while to bed in”
2> “No, it’s a hard 50, there’s a problem”
1> “It’s probably you’re Wifi …”
2> “No, I’m using a cable …”
… etc etc.

Turns out that the new routers BT send out, although they “look” like the latest router that you might already have (!) apparently they’re not the same and re-using the old router isn’t the option it may look like. (i.e. you will have to reconfigure all your WiFi devices etc)

Anyway, now that we have the new router up and running and things are reconfigured roughly the way they were before;

Screenshot from 2024-03-26 14-27-30

And I’m a long Cat5 and two switches away from the termination point, and I’m running the test on an RPi5 … :slight_smile: … this is against a spec of 900 down and 110 up.

So for anyone interested in the Web3 and the distributed Internet, this gives you the ability to serve information to the Internet at 10x standard copper broadband, which should make a notable difference … not to mention the upload latency, 372 down to 19. (smaller is better)