Linux LPIC-1 certification

Hi there!

I want to get the LPIC-1 certification and I would love to receive advices form you guys.

Also, where I can find uppdated exam tests to practice?

Many thanks!

Hi there, welcome to the Forum!

Iā€™ve vaguely heard of LPIC over the years but Iā€™m afraid itā€™s not something Iā€™ve really come across in my working life. I recognise some of the names of the people involved, but other than that ā€¦

Could I ask ā€œwhyā€ you are looking for LPIC-1 certification?
(is it for a structured learning approach to Linux, or is it something you need for a job or prospective job, or ā€¦ ?)

In terms of exam tests, kind of goes to my previous question ā€¦ are you looking to learn Linux, or pass the exams? ā€¦ if itā€™s the former, then they seem to list specific subjects or software on each of the stages and levels. The best way to learn it (IMO) would be to install it and use it on your own machine. Thereā€™s nothing quite like first hand experience :slight_smile:

ā€¦ looking at their website, the very last line of every page caused me to raise an eyebrow ā€¦ for companies offering certification to others, I sort of have an expectation of technically ability or correctness on their part ā€¦ :wink:

Iā€™d be very interested to hear how your course goes, Iā€™m afraid Iā€™m always a little cynical when it comes to IT certification, but Iā€™m always on the lookout for stuff thatā€™s worthwhile :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi! Thanks you so much for your reply!
I need both learn and pass the exams to get job opportunities.

I am looking forward to receive more advice on how to leanr Linux fast.

Thx and kisses!

Ok, so to learn how to use Linux, you can do that in a matter of minutes if youā€™re familiar with using a Windows-type Operating System.

If you want a technical Linux job, whether itā€™s systems administrator, network engineer, programmer, or something of that ilk, you might find youā€™re not going to do that any more quickly that you would become fluent in a foreign language (!)

i.e. itā€™s not usually a ā€˜fastā€™ process, more a gradual progression over time with your level of expertise linked to the amount of practise you put in.

Donā€™t be put off by this, but be aware there is no ā€œfastā€ path to suddenly becoming an expert :wink:

1 Like

Hi Linux_girl.

I concur with the Mad Penguin. Most versions of Linux are intuitive to use via the Graphical User Interface but learning about what goes on ā€œunder the bonnetā€ requires considerable effort, especially if you want to do it for a living.

My own introduction to Linux was via the excellent help I received from this Forum and by reading self-help manuals. Linux books tend to be a bit expensive (think Ā£30) but the best Iā€™ve found is ā€œThe Linux Command Lineā€ by William E Shotts. It is also available as a free PDF download from here. I expect there are books addressing other aspects of Linux which you would need if you want to get into systems work.

As the MP says: itā€™s all about practice. And more practice. For me, getting to grips with the command line was a good start as almost anything you want to do apart from every-day office work involves entering commands via the ā€œterminalā€. A warning here: using the command line can become addictive! Contributors to this Forum will be happy to help you at any stage.

Somewhere on this new site there there are two documents I wrote for beginners that will help you to get started - perhaps the MP will make them visible.

Welcome to Linux!

Keith

1 Like

Welcome aboard Linux_girl,

I did a Linux Foundation Introduction to Linux (LFS101x.s) back in 2016 and learned quite a bit in the process, Itā€™s probably not as advanced as the one youā€™re doing but it was free and nothing to lose so I now have a certificate hanging proudly on my wall, but as already stated the best way to learn in my view is hands on, install it on you PC/Laptop preferably bare metal but a VM is ok, break it fix it and break it again :slight_smile: anyway good luck in your Linux endeavors and remember weā€™re here to help

Graeme

1 Like

Thanks! I am looking forward to pass the LPIC1.