Peppermint OS wireless issues

Hello again all, how are we this fine evening?

So I have just installed Peppermint on my laptop, work wonderfully.

I therefore decided it was worthy enough for my Desktop. Trouble is the wireless is acting incredibly odd. It will hit the maximum of 45kbps download and takes about an hour to download software…I have been waiting for netbeans now for about an hour and a half. I assumed there may be a limitation with Peppermint. So I tried my laptop with the same distro, down to the disk used to install it. It was fine.

Now admittedly I have not had much experience with Wireless and Linux as my laptop has always been very compatible. My desktop has a new Wireless card (TP-LINK TL-WN951N) which works fine with my dreaded windows 7 install. From what I have worked out it is using the ath9k driver currently.

lspci responds with Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5008 Wireless Network adapter.

This is the standard driver that is built into the kernel.

The device connects to the network absolutely fine, but speeds are incredibly low…

So if anyone has a solution then please let me know, as all my Google searches have ended up fruitless

Cheers again everyone :smiley:

What’s the output from:

sudo lshw -C network


description: Wireless interface
product: AR5008 Wireless Network Adapter
vendor: Atheros Communications Inc.
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:04:00.0
logical name: wlan0
version: 01
serial: f8:d1:11:93:cf:55
width: 32 bits
clock: 66MHz
capabilities: bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=ath9k driverversion=2.6.38-8-generic firmware=N/A ip= latency=168 link=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bgn
resources: irq:20 memory:fddf0000-fddfffff

What have you tried so far ?

sudo rmmod -f ath9k
sudo modprobe ath9k nohwcrypt=1


Have you also run a full system update ?

This bug report also seems to suggest the 2.6.39 kernel solves the problem:

OK, by the looks of it there are many people suffering with this issue across all Ubuntu based OSs.

Here is the solution that I have found.

This will require you to reinstall the Operating System but it does work, I assure you.

These instructions also allows you to enter the live version of the OS if when you select Live OS you are taken to terminal.

  • So being by selecting Install OS.

  • Once greeted by the choose your language screen click quit and confirm that you are sure.

  • This will now take you to the live version of the OS. If it does not, download a new copy of Peppermint and re-burn the disk at a slower speed.

  • Once there connect to the internet via the wireless card.

  • Click Install peppermint from the desktop and complete the install as per normal.

  • Once complete the Wireless card should work perfectly.

Happy Linuxing everyone :smiley:


My system works…kind of.

it requires the Above commands from Mark to work fully.

I tried these commands before and they didn’t work now that I have tried them again after the re-install it works much much better :slight_smile: