Web site changes (http://linux.co.uk)

I’ve added a “live search” option (top right) , if anyone spots a problem with it please let me know.

Ok, I’ve been tweaking again … I’ve pretty much doubled the speed, we’re up to about 120 pages per second … at some point (!) Google’s new speed search will recognise the fact that it simply does not take 4 seconds to download the home page … (!)

I know their speed test is in the “Labs” section which means it’s “beta” … but it’s very worrying that it’s sooooooo wrong.

Speed test?

Google now also rank on page speed, see the “labs” section on webmaster tools … :slight_smile:

Well that seems a bit stupid, do they want every site to have a blank homepage with just a link on it, kinda like a simple portal.
So what are they saying… don’t have much content on your homepage?

They’re saying that the speed of your site will ‘contribute’ to your ranking … they’re trying to get shot of highly ranked pages that take 10+ seconds to load … ideally they want page loads to take under 2s … and that’s 2s on their system, not 2s to generate, buggered if I understand how exactly they’re measuring ‘speed’ - but I’ll figure it eventually.

Mmm, more optimisations … I’ve switched the storage cluster for the linux site to “Gluster”, which has more than doubled the page delivery speed while still serving off a proper clustered filesystem … notably this will scale far beyond the current OCFS2 filesystem, AND it’s far easier to configure. Let’s see how reliable it is!

ab -c14 -n400 http://linux.co.uk/

`Concurrency Level: 14
Time taken for tests: 1.861 seconds
Complete requests: 400
Failed requests: 0
Write errors: 0
Total transferred: 17459488 bytes
HTML transferred: 17335200 bytes
Requests per second: 214.96 [#/sec] (mean)
Time per request: 65.130 [ms] (mean)
Time per request: 4.652 [ms] (mean, across all concurrent requests)
Transfer rate: 9162.63 [Kbytes/sec] received

Connection Times (ms)
min mean[+/-sd] median max
Connect: 0 0 0.1 0 1
Processing: 21 63 30.1 48 135
Waiting: 21 63 30.2 48 135
Total: 21 63 30.1 48 135

Percentage of the requests served within a certain time (ms)
50% 48
66% 86
75% 93
80% 96
90% 107
95% 117
98% 120
99% 125
100% 135 (longest request)

Have now moved this forum onto the new Gluster data store … anyone notice any difference / problems ?

Yes… the forum seems much faster at page loads, not 100% convinced the main site is any quicker though, at least not for me.

Forum, 1.5 pages/sec → 4 pages/sec … changes should be perceptable.

Site, 50 pages/sec → 200 pages/sec … I’m thinking rendering speed will be 100% down the speed of your browser (!)


Ok, sorry, been at it again … Forum and Website should both be a little more responsive … how’s it look?

HUGE improvement on both sites… at least for me :slight_smile:
Are you going to post what you did?

Mmm, combination of things … main one, switching in “xcache” in favour on “memcached” …

Heh, if you think the website was quicker , try it now (!)

I’ve tuned anti-captcha so it only runs on relevant pages (rather than all) and I’ve removed the search box as it was just way too slow … and I converted the theme’s dynamic style switcher (not used) to static .css …


Yup, quicker again… pity about the search feature on the front page though, but at least it’s still there on the sidebar.

Mmm, I moved it to the top of the sidebar … just need a different / more efficient search bar is all … I’ll get round to looking unless someone knows a good one for WP?

Ok, now we’re just getting silly … ;D

`# ab -c12 -n1000 http://linux.co.uk/ This is ApacheBench, Version 2.3 <$Revision: 655654 $> Copyright 1996 Adam Twiss, Zeus Technology Ltd, http://www.zeustech.net/ Licensed to The Apache Software Foundation, http://www.apache.org/

Benchmarking linux.co.uk (be patient)
Completed 100 requests
Completed 200 requests
Completed 300 requests
Completed 400 requests
Completed 500 requests
Completed 600 requests
Completed 700 requests
Completed 800 requests
Completed 900 requests
Completed 1000 requests
Finished 1000 requests

Server Software: lighttpd/1.4.26
Server Hostname: linux.co.uk
Server Port: 80

Document Path: /
Document Length: 42985 bytes

Concurrency Level: 12
Time taken for tests: 3.051 seconds
Complete requests: 1000
Failed requests: 0
Write errors: 0
Total transferred: 43294662 bytes
HTML transferred: 42985000 bytes
Requests per second: 327.81 [#/sec] (mean)
Time per request: 36.607 [ms] (mean)
Time per request: 3.051 [ms] (mean, across all concurrent requests)
Transfer rate: 13859.75 [Kbytes/sec] received

Connection Times (ms)
min mean[+/-sd] median max
Connect: 0 0 0.0 0 0
Processing: 19 36 12.9 34 135
Waiting: 19 36 12.9 34 135
Total: 19 36 13.0 34 135

Percentage of the requests served within a certain time (ms)
50% 34
66% 38
75% 41
80% 43
90% 48
95% 57
98% 79
99% 89
100% 135 (longest request)`

Ok, if I’ve cracked the sticky page issue (!) then speed is now pretty consistent at between 325 and 360 pages / sec … :slight_smile:

Forum is up to ~ 16 pages / sec. (from ~ 3)

what was up with stickies ?.. I never knew there was a problem.

Mmm, clicking a link sometimes either pauses 30s or never happens.

I think it’s fixed … have added “disable-time” => 0 to lighttpd’s config, removed the rrdtool graphs and removed double definitions of server.log …

Am managing to run “ab -c10000 -c50” against one of the sites and it comes back clean with zero failures …

Not “feeling” some of the stickyness I saw earlier …

Still ‘experimenting’ with xcache memory usage / pools etc … starting to look more ‘stable’ now tho’…

This is what I’m talking about - real-world change in Forum response time;

[smg id=642 type=preview]

And the change to one of the other PHP websites, spot the step, Phase I was WP-SuperCache, Phase II was xcache.

[smg id=652 type=preview]